Plant suggestions

• 2 Replies

dmg

Plant suggestions
« on: May 06, 2016, 23:55 »
Having just moved in to our new home with a 3/4 acre garden I'm looking for some ideas of which plants to add.
to each of the 3 main areas. The garden runs N-NW to S - SE
The whole property sits on an embankment over a disused railway and is tree lined the entire garden on this side
1) The drive has the most plants throughout it, it runs about 50ft. Opposite the trees there are a few huge holly bushes with a beech hedge, snowdrops are abundant here also. Light is fairly bright morning and late evening and dappled otherwise. I'm looking for something happy in pots as we may be paving a few of the bigger areas for parking and a work shop
2) the main garden is about 10ft and is mostly a very mossy lawn - the top 40ft or so will be my new veg patch
I like the idea of some climbing or rambling roses going up the trees and some clematis going down the embankment. There are also 2 12ft conifers just outside the house which cast a lot of shade which I was hoping to bring down and replace with rockeries as they only get morning sun- roadside its just the beech hedge
3) the 3rd area is a small wood after the veg plot which is probably another 40ft - is there anything I can put here even if it is just to grown on for other areas - I was intending to contact the local beekeeper association to see if they could house some hives on it.

Anything needed in bulk would have to be reasonable priced or cloned easily

Any help would be appreciated

Dmg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Plant suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 08:11 »
Herbaceous perennials that are shade tolerant would be a good start.  Most can be spilt, or multiplied by cuttings, root cuttings or seed.  It sounds like you have plenty of room to set up your own mini nursery  :)

The RHS list is quite good.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?pid=100

Rambling roses are stunning if you have the room and being able to let them run up trees should give you a fantastic display.  I have heard of running clematis down banks, rather than up supports, but have never tried it.  I suspect the faster growing, more vigorous varieties might work better.

As for the wood, it depends on what trees are in it.  It is very difficult to establish anything under conifer or beech woodland.  If it is more mixed, it is easier, but the heavier the canopy, the shorter the season.  You could be looking at a spring garden really with bulbs, primroses and the like.   It might also be nice to clear a bit for a summer seating area with ferns and some of the shade tolerant perennials suggested in the link  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Plant suggestions
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 16:43 »
A thought for the embankment: Cotoneaster horizontalis would perhaps thrive and give you evergreen cover, flowers beloved of bees and an excellent display of winter berries too.

As most Clematis are deciduous it would give you some structure in Winter.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
small hedging plant suggestions

Started by plum crumble on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post February 08, 2013, 18:52
by plum crumble
xx
plant suggestions for a difficult position please

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 20:22
by mumofstig
xx
Suggestions needed for a "special" plant

Started by GYO Girl on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post March 14, 2013, 11:37
by Agatha
xx
Any suggestions please

Started by Missy1970 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 14:04
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 29 queries.