Tomato 'bucket' question

• 17 Replies

Mr Dog

Re: Tomato 'bucket' question
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 21:05 »
I am trying this way of growing tomatoes this year. :)
My flower buckets from Morrisons cost me 99p for 8 this morning. Where do you go (mine local one is Belper)! Sounds like yours is better value. ???

I've bought several 'packs' from my local Morrisons over the years and no 2 have had the same number of buckets - ranged from 10 to 15! There's usually a good number of packs and I've always rummaged through to find the biggest.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 10:30 »
I have like some grown them straight in the ground however this year is different.

I read an article about air pruning root systems and after much research there was an interesting one regarding toms in airpots so this year I have both toms and cukes n what is known as the hercules pot, the principle is the same and these pots are not too expensive at around £2.49 each but are very well made and will last decades I am sure, so far my toms are coming on very nicely indeed in fact so well others are now looking in envy and are asking where I bought them from for next year.
The air pot is designed to increase the root system by pruning the roots so they dont/ cant become root bound and one claim from a university said it can increase the root system by upto 70-80%, they went on to say for a cherry type toms you will need about a 6litre pot and for salad from a 10litre pot, mine are 12litres.
The advantage these pots have is the increase the smaller roots to increase nutrient take up. The proof of course will be in the eating but so far it is looking very good.
Airpot1.jpg
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 10:31 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Alifink

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 12:33 »
Too late now but for anyone thinking of using Morrison flower buckets next year wait until the day after valentines or just after Mothers day. I got 40+ buckets free as they had a 6ft tall stack of them, look for the flower assistant who will be mega busy and just want rid of them

xx
a frosty question and a tomato question

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 18:29
by JayG
xx
I can't get a bucket big enough for my

Started by Bodger on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 09:49
by diggerjoe
xx
potatoe in a bucket

Started by drythropple on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 14:40
by drythropple
xx
Drowned weeds in a bucket...

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2015, 07:48
by ptarmigan

Page created in 0.552 seconds with 28 queries.