Well that turned out better than expected!

• 1 Replies

Casey76

Well that turned out better than expected!
« on: May 03, 2016, 09:05 »
I had a bit of an incubator disaster one week into the 21 days, in which I woke up to find my electricity had been off overnight, and the incubator had cooled to room temp.

As far as I could see, the electric had been off for about 6 hours, so I had no idea how this would effect anything.

As I was incubating Marans eggs, it's always a bit more difficult to see what's going on, and although at lock down I identified 2 which were obviously clear all of the others were suspect, and I had a nasty feeling that the electricity outage had killed them off.

Anyway, on day 21 there was nothing, though upon inspection I could hear two which were cheeping, so I put everything back and crossed my fingers.

This morning (day 23) I have 9 chicks (out of 20 eggs), with at least one more pipped :)  I'm not even going to whinge that they are all copper blacks, with no wheaten.

In other news, my last set, I have 6/6 mixed sabelpoots and 4/6 buff cochins and 1/6 ( >:( ) black wyandottes candled fertile at day 7.  I've had a real mixed experience buying hatching eggs from local enthusiasts.  Some of the eggs are shocking.  The sabelpoot eggs are absolutely disgustingly dirty.  The dotte eggs are fab, but obviously not fertile at all.

grinling

Re: Well that turned out better than expected!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 19:17 »
well done for the hatching.I must admit I have had 12 not hatch and used a broody which was then hard to break.

xx
a bit andom but what breeds of hens have the longest/shortest expected life?

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 19:35
by rosie14
xx
have i turned them to much

Started by traacyken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 23:17
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Has the worm turned ???

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 28, 2008, 12:16
by Midwife
sad
Holly's turned nasty

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 12:16
by Hawkins

Page created in 0.56 seconds with 29 queries.