Anyone use a BEC wise feeder?

• 10 Replies

Casey76

Anyone use a BEC wise feeder?
« on: March 19, 2016, 08:08 »
Like this?

It looks great, and I love the idea of it being able to be attached to a cage or other surface - however it is a lot of money, so would like some opinions first :)

Thanks!

snowdrops

Re: Anyone use a BEC wise feeder?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 09:57 »
My daughter made something similar out of square drain pipe, works really well,I'll look for a photo.
Sorry can't see any ill ask her to send me some
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 09:59 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 13:42 »
I bought 2 from BEC Casey when they first came out.  I only used one and I bought one to use and one to sell, but still have the new one in the shed.  We have no chickens now.

They are expensive, but you can buy additional white bits to add more feed.  The basic one takes around 10k of feed.  The good thing is that if you can't hang a feeder anywhere, these one will screw to a wall, or the chicken shed, and you can position it chest high so that the chickens can feed, but the rats and mice can't reach it.  also bit sheltered from the rain unless the rain is coming down on a vertical!

I wouldn't have bought anymore of them though as you can get 2 12k feeders that will hang for less than that price. 

How much are they now?  I paid £40 for each one when they first came out.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 16:56 »
They are still about £40, plus about £7 for the extra white bits.

For the price I've been quoted for postage I'm going to buy two I think. I can see how they will cut down on food wastage and will probably pay for themselves in a few months!

Mr R Design

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 06:21 »
I second making something out of drainpipes. Easier to modify and fiddle with if you need to.

I have set mine up so you can put the feed into them without even needing to go in the run.

Looking at the picture you have put I think they will still throw on the floor and scoop out feed.

Not the case with drainpipes.

It will come up if you do some googling.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 14:12 »
I second making something out of drainpipes. Easier to modify and fiddle with if you need to.

I have set mine up so you can put the feed into them without even needing to go in the run.

Looking at the picture you have put I think they will still throw on the floor and scoop out feed.

Not the case with drainpipes.

It will come up if you do some googling.

Never had any spillages from the one I used MrD!  Most of the spillage issues I ever had was from feet srcatching about in feeders rather than beaks, and if these are chest high, they can't get their feet in them!   ;) ;)

Mum2mj

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 16:10 »
If you use pinterest there are tons of how to make your own using drainpipes and covers etc, some are better than others. I'm looking to make a couple (hubby will make it  :lol: ) for our new run so it'll store a lot of feed.
Mr Design, care to post a pic of your setup for me please?  :D

Mr R Design

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 06:51 »
I can do pictures over the weekend that's no problem.

I tend to feed mine Argo Poultry Mix Complete and was getting a problem with them using their beaks to scoop out or pick out the bits that weren't their favourite.

A bit of modification to the drainpipe set-up and nothing now ends up on the floor and every morsel gets eat.

Mr R Design

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 11:11 »
Photos attached.

The four inch nail allows you to pop the feeders off when you want to clean them. If you want to waterproof any external joins just use solvent weld but don't use it if you think you may want to take things apart again.

The sharper the angle the better as the feed will just slide down. Try and keep the part they will be eating from out of the rain to stop the food getting wet.

The soup containers are a prefect fit to stop the rain getting in and they don't blow off in the wind. The flexible tubing came from a car spares shop, it is used as air ducting in cars and is a perfect fit for the stubs on the drain pipes.

The galvanised wire you can see is just mesh that has been cut and bent. It stops them scooping stuff out with their beaks and can be infinitely adjusted.

The food does not go as far down in the drainpipes as you would think when looking at the pictures. I have put an angled piece of plastic internally that stops it and makes it flow forwards into the actual feeder heads.
P1050993 (600 x 450).jpg
P1050994 (600 x 450).jpg
P1050995 (600 x 450).jpg
P1050996 (600 x 450).jpg

Mr R Design

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 11:12 »
More pics
P1050997 (600 x 450).jpg
P1050998 (600 x 450).jpg
P1050999 (600 x 450).jpg

Mum2mj

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 17:10 »
Thanks for that, it looks great  :)

xx
is it wise to add ex batts to an established flock of hybrids?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 18:41
by joyfull
question
feeder help

Started by Soozie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 12:27
by Soozie
xx
what feeder

Started by green stan 77 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 14:04
by GrannieAnnie
xx
where to put the feeder

Started by Sarah J on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 13:38
by Porffor

Page created in 0.978 seconds with 31 queries.