Show Day Pictures

• 12 Replies

Bodger

Show Day Pictures
« on: January 21, 2008, 06:58 »
It was a horrible misty, damp and dank day as the members of the Gwynedd Poultry Club started to turn up for their clubs young bird show.

The birds were judged by judges from within the club. With the judges putting forward their best birds so that at the end of the day the best in Show was voted for by all the members who had exhibited. The weather might have been lousy outside but the competition inside was warm and friendly with well over 300 birds being brought forward.

The Best in Show was a Ginger Stag shown by the old gamekeeper Ellis.

Here he is.

Here are some more pictures from the show.

This is one of our young exhibitors who I saw wrap himself around at least
two of these humungus chip and sausage baps. He also managed to snaffle a mahusive bar of chocolate in the raffle. :-)  :-)  :-)  This lad had a great day, winning a few cards and he could go on to be massive in the poultry showing world. :smt046

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Show Day Pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 09:12 »
Lovely pictures Bodger.  Nice (if not cuddly  :roll: ) birds.  Great to have something nice to do at this time of year :D

One small question though - don't they get any feed and water in their cages ?

WG.

Show Day Pictures
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 09:14 »
I hope they get the guy who broke all these eggs  :shock:

Bodger

Show Day Pictures
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:20 »
You worry too much our Sally :lol: After the judges have the judged the birds, everyone scuttles around with water containers and cups of food. Most of the chickens are very cuddly and much doted on pets. :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Show Day Pictures
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 09:23 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
You worry too much our Sally :lol: After the judges have the judged the birds, everyone scuttles around with water containers and cups of food. Most of the chickens are very cuddly and much doted on pets. :lol:

Phew  :!: but why don't they have it all the time ?  - I'll bet the judges have a cup of tea before they start  :wink:

Bodger

Show Day Pictures
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 09:34 »
Yeah and afterwards but not whilst they are judging :lol:

The other thing of course, is that they the chickens are not at their  best if their crops are stuffed to breaking point with four or six ounces of grain. I'ts a little bit like me after my Christmas dinner.

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Show Day Pictures
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:52 »
What a great post, did you get a ribbon Bodger?  The birds are all fantastic and these youngsters are great, a real credit to their hard work and chicken masters of the future.  

Well done that lad he obviously enjoys his food and if he was up since all hours preparing his birds it was well earned too. :lol: I love to see the children with a real dedication to something if all youngsters had this we would not be afraid to leave our homes :!:  :!:

Foxy

Show Day Pictures
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 10:03 »
Bodger thanks for the photos, it really looks like everyones having a lovely fun day. I especially like the photos of whats going on at a show gives you a flavour of the atmosphere - and talking of flavour I'll have 2 of whatever that young lads' eating! :lol:  :lol:
My first show is this weekend, my local club show ,so a small friendy affair. Got the pens from a second hand shop, and popped the birds in last night for a short time so they got the feel of them. Going to wash them on Tuesday!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bodger

Show Day Pictures
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 10:35 »
You'll have a great time Foxy.

For anyone who fancies catching the disease that leads to taking your chickens shows, here's a tip. Only idiots like me keep white or light coloured chickens that need washing and avoid really fluffy birds, especially those with feathery feet like the plague. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

If you treat it as a bit of fun, then its great, but be prepared for some real cat fights and skull duggery if you, or someone you meet takes it too seriously. Having said that, all the people at my local pub are really friendly.
 If the bug really gets to you and you start to go to the big national shows, the atmoshere can become much more competitive and huge amounts of money can exchange hands for birds as people seek to purchase success.

Oops ! :lol: Forgot to say that I got a first in the pyle pullet class.

I'd better say that pyle referrs to a colour rather than a particular breed. Its basically white with a few brown or salmony bits.

Jellyhead

Show Day Pictures
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 19:11 »
Lovely chooks Bodger :D
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Foxy

Show Day Pictures
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 20:08 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
You'll have a great time Foxy.

If you treat it as a bit of fun, then its great, but be prepared for some real cat fights and skull duggery if you, or someone you meet takes it too seriously. Having said that, all the people at my local pub are really friendly.

Bodger -does EVERYONE at your local pub show chickens?? :lol:  :lol:

Bodger

Show Day Pictures
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 20:46 »
Gosh ! I really did say pub, didn't I ? :oops:  :oops:  :oops: It must be because I'm on a diet and I'm trying as hard as I can to avoid those sort of establishments :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Show Day Pictures
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 22:03 »
Bodger  :!:

What have you done to your name  :?:   Are you all trying to confuse Aunty  :evil:

xx
Just goes to show.........

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 13:58
by WR1
xx
show

Started by chicken king on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 13:52
by joyfull
xx
Egg show advice

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 22:24
by Brad26
xx
Chicken show

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post November 28, 2009, 15:52
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 28 queries.