Brooder size/tips for ducklings please :)

• 4 Replies

Mum2mj

Brooder size/tips for ducklings please :)
« on: February 19, 2016, 10:58 »
Hello, I've some brooder & duck questions :)
what size brooder will I need for up to 6 ducklings until they're able to go outside
What age can they go outside
Best litter and ways of keeping the brooder clean
Any other brooder/duckling tips would be brilliant
Thankyou  :D

Sassy

Re: Brooder size/tips for ducklings please :)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 11:16 »
I have raised ducklings and just moved them to larger accomodation as they grew, i do not know what the recommended guidelines are. They were hatched by a broody hen so were outside and the hen managed keeping them warm so sorry cannot help here, when hatching by other means a lot depends on the weather.

Shavings are a good bedding but when they first hatch as they try to eat them so I covered them in kitchen towel to prevent this, also easy to clean out then, but at least twice a day. Once eating crumb can poo pick several times a day. They are likely to be smellier than hen chicks. Do be aware they are NOT waterproof to begin with so DO NOT allow them to swim. A shallow dish with stones in is advisable for drinking and for them to dip their heads in. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Mum2mj

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 12:58 »
Thanks sassy I did consider a broody but I'd like the girls (& me  :D ) to be able to see the process and handle the ducks when they're young.  How long does it take for them to reach full size? And when can they be introduced to water? I've seen people suggest paint roller trays as introduction to water for a few minutes at a time
Thanks

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 08:28 »
I use the cheap puppy training pads that you get from a pound shop - they are about a £1.00 for 10 of them and three will fill my brooder. So less messy than trying to get shavings out, very absorbant with a smell neutraliser and you don't get the worry of the little beggars eating their bedding! It's also very stable underfoot for them. Any larger poos can be cleaned up with a bit of kitchen roll, so it stays dry for them. I change those every other day and have had no issues.
Baby ducks are so much more fun to watch than chicks - they are completely mental and sooo friendly!

Mum2mj

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 17:13 »
Ah great idea thanks, I don't know if you saw my incubator post but I had a few issues so I'm not sure how successful this hatch will be. Will have to wait and see - 3 days to go - eek  :unsure:

xx
Tips for your chick brooder

Started by rileyfin on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 08:54
by splash101
question
What's the ideal size for a Brooder box ?

Started by Bigblacktaximan on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 08:28
by Bigblacktaximan
xx
brooder size for two chicks

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 12:53
by nic_28
xx
How much to run gas brooder

Started by poppies on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 15:34
by poppies

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 30 queries.