Compost

• 6 Replies

Audy70

Compost
« on: February 15, 2016, 12:45 »
Hi all, I'm wondering if it is worth buying specific seed and seedling composts for sowing and potting on. Thanks to a compost heap that I'm finally beginning to use, I won't be buying as much multi-purpose compost this year and this means I could spend a bit more if needed. But I don't to spend extra if it's not going to give much better seedlings. Last year I made a special mix for my carrots and they were worst that the year before when I just sowed the seed in the ground  : :ohmy:

I was thinking of using the allotment compost but I don't want to bring creepy crawlies into my flat :wub:

Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Compost
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 13:07 »
Compost is wonderful stuff, but IMO it's better to use sterilised compost for seed sowing.

Audy70

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 15:36 »
Thanks mum, I never even considered the sterility of the compost.

Dr_Pepper

• Good Life Horticulture
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 21:02 »
Not yet having much in the way of mature compost we have no option but to buy it in.

I've never really given it much thought before but after experimenting with a few different types over the last 12 months we've settled on a professional modular seed sowing compost with added fertiliser. Having used standard multipurpose stuff, peat-free, organic and John Innes types in the past, and blends of all of them, we're now really seeing the benefit of using the professional medium, especially for larger modules where the seedlings spend a bit longer in them.

My view is that buying a good quality seed compost represents very little outlay for the peace of mind it gives one at those important early weeks of growth. That said, done well, 'home made' unsterilised compost is full of beneficial microbes and other plant growth promoting bits and bobs that can give seedlings an equally good start in life!

Audy70

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 09:28 »
Thanks Dr Pepper, I'll try seed compost this year and see how it goes.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 11:00 »
I use multi-purpose (Miracle-Gro) and find it very good for both sowing and potting-on despite the fact that germinating seeds don't need much in the way of nutrients. They don't like being too damp either and MPC does better on that score than a soil-based one.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

oakridge

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 19:18 »
I do use my own compost for seed sowing but I am fortunate in that I have the space and materials to make it on a grand scale quite slowly.  There is usually about 20 cubic metres in the process at any one time and can take anything up to 18 months to get to the coal face so to speak.  For seed sowing I sieve it and add vermiculite and I have had no trouble with damping off.  In years past I did have a steamer which could sterilise compost, but that was in the 80s.

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 30 queries.