Winter festival preparations

• 81 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Winter festival preparations
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2015, 13:41 »
I've just made the first mince pies, 6 are cooked & a doz are in the freezer. Only trouble is I can't get the cooked ones out of the tin grr

Did you get them out whole?

I broke my pastry brush. Am using the (clean) brush I use to apply hair dye, don't tell anyone!  :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2015, 16:05 »
I've just made the first mince pies, 6 are cooked & a doz are in the freezer. Only trouble is I can't get the cooked ones out of the tin grr

You might like to invest in some silicone tart trays from John Lewis. Best buy ever. Nothing ever sticks!!!!! :D

And I usually make 12 dozen mince pies every year.

A hair dye brush Surbie. LOL Necessity is the mother of invention. :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2015, 16:14 »
Or remember to take them out of the tray while still hot as any sugar which spills out with caramelise and glue itself on while cooling.

Not doing a great deal but everything is home made and most is home produced which is very satisfying. Made marzipan and covered the largest cake, made stuffing balls (sage and onion and fruit) and nut roast for me. Will have a day for mince pies next week...large ones with almond sponge topping for friends, ( a request after I stupidly made one for them last week...had to make more mincemeat) small for the neighbours, postie, goatherders etc. Hopefully doing the cakes tomorrow, but I don't think I'll need all six.

Hamper to sort out for family. I'm sure I'll find plenty to put in it!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2015, 16:19 »
Or remember to take them out of the tray while still hot as any sugar which spills out with caramelise and glue itself on while cooling.

Had to put mine back in the oven for 5 mins to unstick them last night. I made 10. OH ate 7...

tosca100

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2015, 16:36 »
Haha, hope you enjoyed them. The price of making nice full pies.  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2015, 16:41 »

Did you get them out whole?

I broke my pastry brush. Am using the (clean) brush I use to apply hair dye, don't tell anyone!  :D

Most of them came out whole, its nice to say my pastry was so short that's why they wouldn't come out 😄. I don't normally use a food processor & egg but it worked fine. Need a better tin though. I had new ones & they're too deep. Last year John Lewis had mince pie tins like my mum used to have, round bottoms with a pattern on. But I'll look out for the silicone ones too Mrs Bee😘
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2015, 13:16 »
Silicone moulds are  so good for mince pies Snowy. Takes all the hassle away. I used to have to make extra mince pies for my orders to account for loosing some with stickage. Don't need to do that now.

Surbie.......your other half ate 7 mince pies. Heavens that beats my OH.

Although I only put out a couple at a time. :lol: :lol:

tosca100

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2015, 16:02 »
Managed to stretch the marzipan and icing to all six cakes, but they are looking a bit lumpy....snowdrifts  :lol: Still don't know who they are all for, but the little ones will be handy for emergency gifts. Made three dozen mince pies and sent a dozen straight from the oven next door where they, with the help of OH, are butchering their steer.

Made sausage rolls, some meat, some veggie. And my first attempt at blinis was a success, didn't realise they were so easy, Made another spiced pumpkin cake to have by.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2015, 17:23 »
Now I am off work I can finally start thinking about this as the only thing I have done is make the puddings in October! Tomorrow I am going to make sausage rolls, start the gravlax and make the stuffing from Mrs Bee's recipe so it is gluten free! I also need to make the ice -cream and possibly the custard although I do find that you can't really beat Waitrose's fresh custard so I might be lazy there...

If I get round to it I may also make some gluten free savoury treats for Boxing Day as I am going to my parents and I know that the evangelical buffet will be very gluten heavy (scotch eggs, pork pies, quiche etc) and I will probably end up with a lump of cheese and some pickled onions otherwise! Haha

Mrs Bee

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2015, 20:44 »
Now I am off work I can finally start thinking about this as the only thing I have done is make the puddings in October! Tomorrow I am going to make sausage rolls, start the gravlax and make the stuffing from Mrs Bee's recipe so it is gluten free! I also need to make the ice -cream and possibly the custard although I do find that you can't really beat Waitrose's fresh custard so I might be lazy there...

If I get round to it I may also make some gluten free savoury treats for Boxing Day as I am going to my parents and I know that the evangelical buffet will be very gluten heavy (scotch eggs, pork pies, quiche etc) and I will probably end up with a lump of cheese and some pickled onions otherwise! Haha

I have a lovely Chocolate Brazil nut cake  recipe which is flourless, so gluten free if you want it.

I finished the stollen, Dutch Christmas rings, although I made them as small logs to give as gifts as well as for breakfast, a batch of cranberry, white chocolate and pecan nut biscotti and started the fig log for the cheeseboard.

I did all this as well as baby sitting the granddaughter, while parents went out shopping, then did lunch for them all and then warmed up mince pies for a friend who popped in after they had all gone home. And prepared Sunday lunch for everyone tomorrow. Think I may sneak off for an early night in a few minutes.

compostqueen

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2015, 22:05 »
My Christmas puddings are just steaming.  I dunno why I decided to do them this late but hey ho, better late than never. I was confined to barracks waiting in for deliveries etc so it was either make something or start hoovering. No contest  ;) 

I love trifle !  I think I'm with Surbie on the jelly booze question. No jelly but plenty of sherry or whatever you fancy.  I use Madeira cake in the bottom and soak it generously before adding some fruit.  Whipped double cream, some decoration on the top. Not sure what yet but it will invariably involve dark chocolate or Flake (or both  :tongue2:)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2015, 22:14 »
I've been wrapping prezzies today, and in between I've blind baked some quiche crusts and put the snowflake decorations on the cake.

Gkids will be here tomorrow and we'll be making gingerbread houses  ::) I have a cupboard full of sweets - smarties, choc buttons, brown and white and boiled sweets for windows .... the full works.
They'll be masterpieces by the time they go home  8)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2015, 09:08 »
Sounds like a lovely sticky session of decorating round at yours then  :D

I have got the pork pie filling out of the freezer to defrost and yesterday I made a jellied stock from a pork hock, veg, parsley and bay leaves from the garden and peppercorns.  Final assembly will be tomorrow as I am working later  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2015, 09:31 »
I've been wrapping prezzies today, and in between I've blind baked some quiche crusts and put the snowflake decorations on the cake.

Gkids will be here tomorrow and we'll be making gingerbread houses  ::) I have a cupboard full of sweets - smarties, choc buttons, brown and white and boiled sweets for windows .... the full works.
They'll be masterpieces by the time they go home  8)

Sounds great fun. DD & I made some today.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:34 by snowdrops »

tosca100

« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2015, 10:09 »
Wow, they're lovely Snowdrops, very effective.  :)

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 31 queries.