Strawberries fruiting?

• 11 Replies

Under The Hill

Strawberries fruiting?
« on: November 04, 2015, 17:05 »
I have a patch of strawberries which gave me a good crop this year, they are in their second year.  I cut them back after fruiting, I think they fruited quite early about the same time as everyone elses on my site.  I do not know the brand.  But they flowered again in September and now I have seen there is quite a bit of fruit, none of it ripe though.  Is this normal?   Are there some strawberries that do fruit twice?   And what should I do with the fruit, it is not going to ripen now - pouring with rain here at the moment.  And should I cut them back again.  I am worried about my crop for next year.   Last year they did not fruit twice, but then they were in their first year.  Very confused!

m1ckz

Re: Strawberries fruiting?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 17:23 »
yes mine are fruiting too   i have cut them back

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 17:36 »
Yes one of my new rows are fruiting again,I'm harvesting them if I get to them before the slugs. In fairness I removed the flowers that grew after I planted them out to give the plants time to establish. It's only one variety of the four I bought from lidl,might be Osaka or something.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 12:53 »
Yes one of my new rows are fruiting again,I'm harvesting them if I get to them before the slugs. In fairness I removed the flowers that grew after I planted them out to give the plants time to establish. It's only one variety of the four I bought from lidl,might be Osaka or something.

I bought some Ostara from Lidl , they are still fruiting but the strawbs are not really to my liking , too crunchy !
They have been moved to the reserve plot and will try them for jamming, if they are not good for that it will be the compost heap !

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 15:34 »
I have a few that have fruited, but not ripened, how far should I cut them back?
Thanks

Br

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 15:40 »
I have a few that have fruited, but not ripened, how far should I cut them back?
Thanks

Br

Depends on the variety, i have picked a few ripe alpine strawberries on Christmas day in the past but for standard strawbs take any fruit and flowers off and make the plants have a rest before next year.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 20:03 »
OK, thanks, should I leave all the foliage on then?

Br

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 22:28 »
OK, thanks, should I leave all the foliage on then?

Br

All healthy green leaves are building up reserves for the next crop , any dead or discoloured leaves can be removed.

Strawb plants are tough  and will benefit from a cold winter, they do not need  more than a feed and a tidy up this time of year.

Under The Hill

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 09:37 »
Hi, thanks for all the replies - I will cut the fruit off next time I go to the allotment - weather looking rubbish so will only go to crop - but quite a bit to crop  :D sprouts, carrots, beetroot, chard and maybe even some parsnips or leaks!!

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 14:51 »

I bought some Ostara from Lidl , they are still fruiting but the strawbs are not really to my liking , too crunchy !
They have been moved to the reserve plot and will try them for jamming, if they are not good for that it will be the compost heap !

Hmm yes I think that is what mine are, & I did notice they were a bit crunchy,but was hoping that was because of the seasonal lateness of the fruit. I shall certainly give them the benefit of the doubt for next year.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 16:01 »
i still have fruit growing, some are nearly full size, they started flowering in september when the weather warmed up

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 19:45 »

Strawb plants are tough  and will benefit from a cold winter, they do not need  more than a feed and a tidy up this time of year.

Excellent, thanks.

I can do neglect

Br

xx
What do I do after my strawberries have finished fruiting?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 09, 2023, 10:33
by Goosegirl
question
My Strawberries are fruiting in August!!!!

Started by LorraineWB on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 14:14
by LorraineWB
xx
elsanta strawberries finished fruiting

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 21:07
by Trikidiki
xx
Pluot fruiting

Started by realfood on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 19:08
by realfood

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 28 queries.