Carrot success at last!

• 31 Replies

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
Re: Carrot success at last!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 17:05 »
I also had quite a good straight crop, beat off the carrot fly this year.  Unfortunately they don't taste of anything. Zilch.  Very disappointed  :(

Goosegirl

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 11:05 »
What variety did you use? I chose Nantes 2 as they've been around a while and are a good flavour. I don't tend to go for hyped-up varieties of veg just the usual ones people grow.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Liverpool Brick

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 12:47 »
I'm a bit miffed! I thought my carrot success was due to my good husbandry but it looks like we've all done ok!!
2 sowings of Nantes II, second lot still in the ground, some of which I had for lunch y'day. Well done everyone!
Andy
Plant it and it will grow.

oldgrunge

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 21:16 »
I'm a bit miffed! I thought my carrot success was due to my good husbandry but it looks like we've all done ok!!
2 sowings of Nantes II, second lot still in the ground, some of which I had for lunch y'day. Well done everyone!
Andy
Don't be so hard on yourself. Sure, it's been a good year for carrots, but it doesn't matter how good the season is, you still need good husbandry to achieve a good crop.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 02:01 »
What variety did you use? I chose Nantes 2 as they've been around a while and are a good flavour. I don't tend to go for hyped-up varieties of veg just the usual ones people grow.

Amsterdam Forcing was one, I think the other one was Autumn King.  The seeds were a bit old and it's only the second time I've grown them on the allotment.  Last year's was devastated with the dreaded fly.  Will maybe try Nantes 2 next year and grow some in a bucket also as was suggested on an earlier post.  Such a disappointment after spending on veggie mesh and creeping under it to weed.

Goosegirl

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 12:32 »
IMHO I think I was just lucky! I did no actual husbandry, just made a furrow and bunged the seeds in. Reminds me of when my late-MIL came round and I fancied making a sponge cake for her. Got a bowl plus ingredients, wacked the sugar and butter together, bunged the eggs in and gave it a good mix, added the flour and turned the mix over, put it into two cake tins, bunged it into the oven and - lo! Best sponge cake I've ever made!! Perhaps a no-faff experiment would be good to try. 

snow white

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 17:57 »
I now buy fresh seeds every year as I found even a year old seeds only do 50% germination.  Even then this year was so dry I sowed seeds three times to get any germination even though I was watering.

mrsbean

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 20:27 »
Nantes 2 is what i planted in old black bin into a mix of soil compost and anything else to fill it, lovely straight carrots. Did later sowing in old bath but think  i was heavy handed with sowing. like GG i have,nt thinned, , lots of lovely green tops not sure whats underneath yet, can see orange but they maybe skinny.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 20:45 »
Mine have done well this year after using enviromesh to deter carrot fly. The ones in the back garden are unfortunately getting chewed on by slugs despite a copious broadcast of slug pellets, ones on the allotment are looking good. I get less slugs on the allotment, maybe due to a toad that's taken up residence under my shed step! Grand.

Goosegirl

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 10:26 »
Slug pellets need to be scattered quite sparsely; if not, you can get more slugs (so I believe).

MrsPea

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 12:04 »
I haven't dug mine up yet possible this weekend before it gets to bad re weather wise or has anyone left them in all winter ?? if I do it I shall have to freeze them  :)
I Love my green house

trunk monkey

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 18:45 »
I planted two carrot pens; one filled with compost and the other with soil. I have had a good crop from the compost and nothing from the soil! A few of the carrots w ???ere hollowed out from the crown; our allotment guru said it looked like vole damage. Always keeps you guessing this allotment game.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 22:07 »
I've been sowing carrots since the spring and have had intermittent but fairly regular pickings.  My raison d'etre for getting an allotment was to follow in my FIL's footsteps and produce wonderful small tasty carrots which were a legend in our family. 

This year has been a definite step forward with this. Regular sowing has had something to do with it.  In the past I have found wonderful carrots in soil as I was clearing and preparing to sow something in the spring, but I don't count those as my success - just chance that though the tops were chomped somehow the carrots were missed!  I look forward to more success next year - I really will thin-out and also sow regularly into well prepared soil, I'm not looking for the longest or biggest, I just want lots of small and tasty please!

Growster...

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 17:34 »
I think it's the regularity of sowing, or succession perhaps, which makes the crop worthwhile.

Positive gardeners always think they've had a good year, despite the fact that just one - maybe two, sowings don't do all that good, but the other three/four/five sowings; WOW!

Roundabouts and swings spring to mind...

Carrots are the epitome of this syndrome, it says so on the packet;0)

Goosegirl

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 10:26 »
As far as I'm concerned, I think you've hit the carrot top on the head there, Growster. Regular sowings should overcome any weather problems so at least you will end up with a decent crop rather than relying on one or two sowings that don't come to anything.

xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
will i have success?

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 15:14
by Charl89
xx
success at last !!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 18:57
by starry
xx
Chitting success.

Started by shedmeister on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2016, 21:28
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 29 queries.