Haricots/flageolets from French bean plants

• 5 Replies

Snoop

Haricots/flageolets from French bean plants
« on: November 03, 2015, 13:05 »
I've had a look at some previous threads, but haven't quite found the advice I'm looking for. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I've never saved French bean seeds before and am a bit confused by the differences between the beans in the pods.

I grew some F1 dwarf French green beans (Strike) and there are a lot of pods left on the plants. The pods are no good for eating now, but I was wondering about the beans inside. The older pods (yellow) have very small white beans in (like small haricots) whereas the pods that are still slightly green have much larger green beans in (like flageolets). The small white ones are not completely dry and just slightly bitter but not unpleasant, whereas the green beans are a long way off being dry and delicious in taste.

I presume, seeing as they are an F1 variety (I grew no other beans at all), that the green ones will eventually go white and perhaps shrink as they dry. Or not?

Plus, I presume I should pick the pods and leave them to dry before shelling. Or not?

Thanks for any advice.

jaydig

Re: Haricots/flageolets from French bean plants
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 17:07 »
I don't know if you want to use them for cooking, or to keep the seeds to sow next year, but I use mine to cook with.

I simply remove the beans from the pods and store them as they are in bags in the freezer. When I make soups, stews or casseroles I just tip in the amount I need straight from the freezer.

Snoop

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 17:35 »
Thanks, jaydig. My message wasn't very clear was it? I want them for cooking, not for saving for next year. But I can't freeze them as we have no freezer. They have to be dried. Do I dry them in the pod or shelled? And what's likely to happen to the big fat green ones? Will they shrink and end up like the small white ones?

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 17:42 »
They are probably better dried in the pod, but the only time I tried to keep dried beans for cooking they started to go mouldy in the jars. I obviously hadn't dried them out enough!  I'm sure someone else on here can give you better advice than I can as to how to dry and store them properly.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 18:32 »
If you have space to dry them in the pods in a single layer,somewhere warm but not hot that will be fine,if not pod them & just dry the beans, that's also fine. As for the current green beans I'd expect them to shrink & most likely change colour. As said dry really well then dry again for better storage.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 09:35 »
Thanks, guys. I love flageolets. It'll be an interesting experiment if nothing else.

xx
How many French bean plants do you grow?

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post April 02, 2014, 18:22
by beesrus
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
xx
French Bean Question.

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2020, 22:31
by mumofstig
xx
French Bean - NeckarGold

Started by blue_cortina on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 17:01
by blue_cortina

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 28 queries.