14wk chook died

• 32 Replies

TashaH

14wk chook died
« on: November 01, 2015, 15:54 »
Our little chickpea who was hatched by a broody a few months ago died after being poorly for just a few days  :( . Our No 2 Dora (2 yrs) was also showing the same symptoms as pea, so I checked them over, and they both had a small infestation of lice under the wings, nowhere else. The whole flock was dusted and vaccinated for lice etc but despite her eating and drinking, pea passed in her sleep the day after her jab.

I had only just started to handle her (mum wouldn't let me near her), so I had no bench mark for her weight. Dora had lost weight, comb is darkish at the tip and both weak in the legs, falling over and such. Dora also had sour crop, which I treated with bio yog etc, they have acv and poultry tonic. The rest of the flock are weighty and healthy, no change in attitude or behaviour, so I am baffled as to what has gone on. Pea went from happy inquisitive chick to a poorly weak girl so quickly I am stunned.

There is no red mite in the coop, no lice etc on the others (vents, tails, chests, wings all checked), and food and water is fresh daily and bedding in the nest box. They have greens daily, scrambled egg treat, apples and other fruits. Nothing has changed in the routine for me to pin point a cause.

Any ideas?? Dora is now in the guinea pig house for warmth and her own food supply (the others devour her food) so I am hoping she fully recovers from whatever this is.

Many thanks in advance.

TashaH

Re: 14wk chook died
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 01:50 »
No advice as to a possible cause?? Dora had to be PTS  from being so weak from whatever ailed her. The rest of the flock are still fine, eating and drinking well, also laying.

Thanks kindly.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 07:37 »
R.I.P Dora, it's sad when we lose one & don't know why.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 07:50 »
No advice as to a possible cause?? Dora had to be PTS  from being so weak from whatever ailed her. The rest of the flock are still fine, eating and drinking well, also laying.

Thanks kindly.
sorry for your loss but its really dangerous for anyone to try and offer and diagnose an ailment and offer treatment over the internet without seeing your bird.

Beekissed

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 14:51 »
Wasn't aware they had vaccinations for external parasites.   The weakness, falling about and sour crop sounds like they might have had Marek's and maybe the lice were just a secondary problem. 

Marek's disease: A viral disease that affects poultry - it is very contagious and is a herpes virus. The virus tends to affect the nerves and cause tumors in internal organs. Poultry may be unable to lay eggs or may even die. Young birds are more susceptible than older birds with death most common between the ages of 8 and 20 weeks. The virus may attack the nervous system and result in paralysis or it may attack the visceral system and cause tumors in the internal organs. Some birds may die without any obvious symptoms.

Progressive limb paralysis
Progressive neck paralysis - less common
Progressive wing paralysis - less common
Loss of ability to stand
Paralysis
Uncoordination
Internal organ tumors
Swollen liver
Swollen spleen
Loss of appetite
Loss of weight
Anemia
Pale combs
Shrunken combs
Dehydration
sour crop

Treatments for Marek's disease

There is no treatment - infected birds should be destroyed promptly in a humane way and other birds should be monitored for signs of the infection. Vaccinations are used routinely in commercial operations as a preventative measure although birds may still develop the infection if they are vaccinated. The development of genetically resistant poultry is also being used to control the virus.

grinling

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 18:22 »
A useful thing with an unexplained death is an autopsy. It can be about £50, but can give you answers. Commercial vets will cull an ill bird within the flock to see what is wrong.

Do check the other chick for bubbly eyes, breathing fine and check temperature with your hand under her wing and then under your other birds for comparison.

colour of poos can be an indicator.

TashaH

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 16:39 »
A useful thing with an unexplained death is an autopsy. It can be about £50, but can give you answers. Commercial vets will cull an ill bird within the flock to see what is wrong.

Do check the other chick for bubbly eyes, breathing fine and check temperature with your hand under her wing and then under your other birds for comparison.

colour of poos can be an indicator.

It seems another young one, 12weeks, is showing the same symptoms :( The 2 she is housed with are perfectly fine, eating drinking etc. Hectorina IS drinking, and eating small amounts of mashed growers, some small seeds... she avoids any large items like pellet size etc, she will eat some live meal worms at bed time only, but anything else, she picks up and discards. All the flock have been wormed and dusted for lice, they have tonic water and ACV water split over each week. We do have mice issues which I have tried to rectify... today I poured pea shingle in/over any holes and covered with house bricks, also showered the place in dried mint  :wacko:

When I let her free range supervised, she wont even scratch at the earth or eat any bugs from under the rocks etc :( She is a light sussex, same as Chickpea was.

I hate to see her like this as she was so bubbly growing up... anyone have an idea how I can tempt her to eat something to boost her? I have tried scrambled eggs, cooked chicken, porridge oats, wet cat food, beef the works.. she just does not seem interested :(

Thanks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 17:26 »
TBH I think your best bet would be to get Hectorina to a vet as quickly as you can. 

Lack of appetite, especially in a young growing bird, is unusual and means they really do feel rough.  It could be symptomatic of a wider problem within the flock.  If that is the case, you need to know what is up, before any more fall ill.

TashaH

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 18:12 »
TBH I think your best bet would be to get Hectorina to a vet as quickly as you can. 

Lack of appetite, especially in a young growing bird, is unusual and means they really do feel rough.  It could be symptomatic of a wider problem within the flock.  If that is the case, you need to know what is up, before any more fall ill.
I will get her to the vets first thing tomorrow... I would rather she perked up as I don't want to have to part with her :( Will update :) And thanks for your reply.

TashaH

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 19:06 »
I just went to check all the chooks and lock up and one of the older girls had passed a roundworm... yuck! It wasn't moving so I am hoping the new worming treatment is hitting the spot? I checked the babies poo's and could not see anything in them, but by the colour and consistency of them suggests a bout of worms. I have given another dose of worming treatment in their water and keeping my fingers crossed. Oh, and Hectorina ate some growers crumb I wizzed up, thank goodness! :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 08:44 »
What are you worming with TashaH ? 

I'm just asking because we have had forum members on here before that were using stuff like Verm-X and it has not been totally effective.  I use Flubenvet every 6 months and feed my lot garlic granules in between to keep their guts healthy.

Good luck at the vets.  Fingers crossed it is something minor and Hectorina will soon be on the mend  :)

TashaH

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 14:02 »
What are you worming with TashaH ? 

I'm just asking because we have had forum members on here before that were using stuff like Verm-X and it has not been totally effective.  I use Flubenvet every 6 months and feed my lot garlic granules in between to keep their guts healthy.

Good luck at the vets.  Fingers crossed it is something minor and Hectorina will soon be on the mend  :)
It is chicken wormwood complex, in water or added to feed.  Hectorina is much perkier today, scratching around with her beak in the nest box with her buddies. I have the vets appointment this afternoon, and all 3 are going for an MOT.

Thanks for your reply,

Tasha

grinling

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 19:44 »
googled the worming stuff you are using and it is very similar to VermX,which is a preventative rather than a curative. The vet can prescribe Flubenvet.
You cannot give extra to the pellets as it must be pellets only for a week.

Could you get a bag of unmedicated growers which all the chickens can eat?

Do you use more than one feeder?

Are any of your birds vaccinated?

TashaH

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 16:51 »
googled the worming stuff you are using and it is very similar to VermX,which is a preventative rather than a curative. The vet can prescribe Flubenvet.
You cannot give extra to the pellets as it must be pellets only for a week.

Could you get a bag of unmedicated growers which all the chickens can eat?

Do you use more than one feeder?

Are any of your birds vaccinated?
The vet was not very helpful and would not prescribe anything, even  flubenvet. He suggested we purchase it ourselves, which we are doing. I have a fresh bag of grower pellets on route, which I will use for the 7 days treatment. Can I mix some growers with chick crumb as Hectorina is fussy eating at the moment. I am sure the older girls were vaccinated, we bought them at POL, but the young ones have not as yet been done. I will try another vet for this.

There is a large feeder outside for the big girls, and the young ones have a separate one inside. They are not integrated as yet.

Tasha.

grinling

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 19:23 »
are your originals laying?

Providing chick crumb and/or growers are unmedicated it will not matter who eats them, but if yours are laying eggs at the mo then keep them on layers.

mix crumb and growers together building up the amount of growers to crumb. I would keep the chick on growers as long as poss.
Vaccinations are given from day old chicks and at certain ages,unless you have excommercial birds they prob aren't vaccinated.

xx
Poor chook died...please help diagnose

Started by jamest10 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 11:41
by Jeanette
xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
My little hen died!!! Why?????

Started by redmolly on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 13:46
by redmolly
xx
She died........

Started by Happy-Hound on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 11:31
by azubah

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 30 queries.