Overwintering broad beans

• 13 Replies

Flowertot

« on: October 14, 2015, 19:59 »
My Spring sown broad beans were a complete failure due to an invasion of blackfly this year. I am going to try sowng them in Autumn in the hope that they will crop before the blackfly take over.  So, I have bought some Super Aguadulce seeds - but they don't say precisely when to sow them for the best results. Is now a good time or should I wait a few more weeks? Any tips welcome please.

Steveharford

Re: Overwintering broad beans
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 20:42 »
It's basically a bit of guesswork in that you want them to grow to about 6" high before the real cold weather halts their growth. Much higher than that and they are at the mercy of the wind which may flatten them. By surviving the worst of the winter weather they are off with a head start come early spring.

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 21:32 »
Six inches high and they would not last the Winter here in East Anglia. They just need their first leaves above the ground by Christmas so do not be in a hurry to sow, especially in the southwest. About the last week in October is usually about right here so a bit later.

Mice will steal them.

Often you are just as well to sow a spring variety in pots very early and plant out in February.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 22:00 »
I did mine in October last year - they got to a foot high by winter, they fell over and I had to stake them all. They did really well, but they weren't pretty. This year am sowing in early November.

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 22:23 »
I'd agree with Salmo. As far north as this the autumn sown never seem to crop any earlier than spring sown and often get knocked back by the winter. I sow in pots in the greenhouse in Feb and plant out when the weather picks up.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 23:17 »
I'm in South West - Dorset. Nov 20th is my planting date for Aquadulce broad bean. Gives me stocky 2"-3" plants to stand through the hard weather period. This date hasn't failed me yet.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 07:14 »
Having had no success over wintering Broad beans I switched to Wizard Field Beans last year (sowed mid-October) and would have had a great crop if it weren't for the terrible blackfly-I gave up fighting them and eventually dug them up having enjoyed some harvest.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 07:34 »
If the winter weather does not get them the slugs probably will !

IMO the only people that gain from autumn planted beans are the people that sell you more seed !  :D

ptarmigan

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 08:03 »
Mine were brilliant last year.  I put string round them to stake them and put them in the most sheltere spot on a windy site.  I think it is worth it just to have something green growing overwinter.  But it is a gamble. 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 08:11 »
Having had no success over wintering Broad beans I switched to Wizard Field Beans last year (sowed mid-October) and would have had a great crop if it weren't for the terrible blackfly-I gave up fighting them and eventually dug them up having enjoyed some harvest.

Same here with proper broad beans and I grow Wizard now.   Mine went in around the same time as yours last year.  I've just been checking my diary and they were about to burst into flower on 19th April this year.  I like them as I just bung the seed in and pretty much walk away until harvest time.   They also come true from seed, so you only need to buy them once and you can have free crops every year afterwards  :)

They got blackfly with a vengence, but I had a really good crop off them, even if they were messy to pick towards the end.

These pictures have been posted before, but I didn't spray and let the ladybirds have a field day.  I have to say, I don't think I saw another aphid on the plot all summer after this lot had moved off the beans looking for more food  :lol:

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 09:29 »
I overwintered Wizard field beans very successfully last/this year, sowing the seed in the first week of November.    They were between 3 and 4 inches high before winter set in.  I think only one seed failed.   The rest gave me a tremendous crop.   One plant got blackfly but ladybirds arrived on time and that was the extent of the damage.

I am going to repeat this year, hoping for a similar effect.

Flowertot

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 22:39 »
Thank you all  :). I'll wait until November then. And if that doesn't work, perhaps I'll think about wizard in the future.

Ema

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 13:47 »
In spring the voles ate all my broad beans. So I imagine they would eat any I sow now?

I had to sow a second lot and the weather got so warm they didn't do at all well, I got a medium freezer bag of beans out of 30 plants.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 09:10 »
In spring the voles ate all my broad beans. So I imagine they would eat any I sow now?

I had to sow a second lot and the weather got so warm they didn't do at all well, I got a medium freezer bag of beans out of 30 plants.

Yes, and they eat Wizard beans as well of course!!

I sow mine in modules early November and once they have two leaves carefully plant them out. I even take off the remains of the bean seed bits to stop voles biting through the stem to get these. A bit of a faff, but worth it.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx

Started by janeheritage on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2008, 17:38
by gobs
xx
Overwintering broad beans and pigeons

Started by dougsta on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 10:13
by dougsta
xx
overwintering garlic and broad beans

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2013, 09:40
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
Growing broad beans in modules and overwintering

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post November 05, 2013, 17:10
by dugless

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 29 queries.