being kinder to my apple trees

• 11 Replies

skadi

being kinder to my apple trees
« on: August 31, 2015, 15:48 »
Hi. I have 3 pretty well established dwarf apple trees on my plot. They do a fine job of producing lots of apples for me (especially my Worcester Apple), but I'm letting them down by not protecting them from bugs. The poor things are riddled with worm.  I am determined to do better by them. I'd appreciate any guidance on what I can do and when.
Thanks.

skadi

Re: being kinder to my apple trees
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 19:10 »
Yes, i'm pretty sure it's codling moth. I've heard of using grease bands, but have never known how effective they are. I replace them every year? Winter wash sounds good too (and cheap !). It's interesting what you say about grass clippings. Until last year I used to put them round the trees. Oh dear. And now I have bark around the base of them as a weed suppressant.
The pheremone trap sounds interesting. Will check that out. Thanks. As you say, not an instant cure, but a good start.

Thanks too for the welcome. Yes, I'm new on the site  :D

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 15:41 »
Just a word of warning. In some cases grease bands can do more harm than good. I had them on my trees when I moved in and when I replaced them it was actually the nail in the coffin for one tree. So I no longer use them. Winter wash will also kill the goodies as well as the baddies - I don't know how fussed you are. If you grow a happy healthy tree it will be able to fight off a lot of issues. So winter prune for air flow and shape. Remove dead and diseased branches asap. Clear all competing plants from the base of the tree (from the trunk to the drip line) then top dress.

Good luck with whatever you decide  :)

skadi

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 18:30 »
Many thanks, both. Norfolkgrey, can I ask in what way the grease bands harmed your tree? I think I'm going to give them a go as my trees are generally strong and healthy,  other than the wormy fruit!  :nowink: so it would be good to know what to look out for if they are getting damaged. I 'll need to put them on in the next few weeks I take it?

Am a bit squeamish about the pheremone trap I think. So we'll see how desperate I become.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 15:59 »
Many thanks, both. Norfolkgrey, can I ask in what way the grease bands harmed your tree? I think I'm going to give them a go as my trees are generally strong and healthy,  other than the wormy fruit!  :nowink: so it would be good to know what to look out for if they are getting damaged. I 'll need to put them on in the next few weeks I take it?

Am a bit squeamish about the pheremone trap I think. So we'll see how desperate I become.

Damage varied from tree to tree but basically it trapped moisture, caused rotting, lifting of bark, a haven for crawlies. The tree I lost was due to crown rot but the grease band didn't do it any favours.  :(

skadi

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 19:06 »
Really helpful, thanks. I'm thinking of trying the bands, but keeping a careful eye out for the problems you experienced, Norfolkgrey. I'm assuming the bands are not too difficult to remove if I spot problems starting?

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 08:27 »
I know some people that have used them for years with no issues but I think it is good to be aware of both sides. As Babby says maybe try putting it on during the active period and remove it during colder might be a good idea. Oh and they are easy to remove, just sticky and gunky  :)

skadi

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 16:46 »
Excellent. Thanks both for all your thoughts. Am going to give it ago and see what happens.  :)

trunk monkey

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 20:25 »
Last year my apples where riddled with codling moth damage. This year I used a winter tree wash, and a pheremone trap. It caught numerous codling moths. I also sprayed the apples with pesticide and "maxicrop" which is supposed to improve fruit quality. This year the apples look beautiful. Trunky

skadi

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 19:13 »
You went in all guns blazing by the sounds of it, Trunky. ANd it worked. Hurrah  :D
I've got as far as buying grease bands (not applied yet). I'm going to do the winter wash. But I do want to try a pesticide in the spring. Havent used before, and hope it wont be an annual need. Havent thought of something like maxicrop as well.
Glad your apples are looking fab. Do you have any thoughts as to what was the key ingredient in your approach?

skadi

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 15:00 »
I feel I#ve done my apple trees a bit of a dis-service now  :(  They do, certainly, have a bug problem this year. But the ones that I have managed to crop really are a fabulous apple. I love the Worcester. Red and shiney, with a sufficiently firm bite, but so wonderfully fragrant. Beautiful. ANd hopefully even more of this heaven next year after their tlc  :D

trunk monkey

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 19:13 »
Hard for me to say which was the most effective measure that I took but the effectiveness of the pheromone trap could be seen. The trap also has the advantage that no agent comes into contact with the tree or the fruit.

Trunky

xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
clip
Apple Trees pt2

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2022, 12:08
by hasbeans
xx
apple trees

Started by vortex444 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 15:21
by Aunt Sally
xx
Apple trees

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 21:36
by Springlands

Page created in 0.712 seconds with 30 queries.