Anyone made a wormery?

• 4 Replies

allotment-shed

Anyone made a wormery?
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:53 »
I would like to prepare a wormery over the winter months for next spring and wondered if anyone has ideas to consider? I've seen various methods using stacking plastic bins, even simply placing plastic bags on top of each other but would be grateful for any suggestions of tried and tested methods. Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Snoop

Re: Anyone made a wormery?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 18:00 »
I made my first wormery in a hurry, as someone gave some worms out of the blue. Anyway, it was a plain bucket and I used a turkey baster to get the liquidy gloop out of the bottom. Sounds ghastly but the worms were quite happy and multiplied like mad. Then I made the stacking buckets thing that you mention, with small holes punched in the top bucket to let the liquid filter through. Also worked very well. I felt better about it as there was no risk of stabbing worms with the end of the turkey baster!

I bought a great book called Worms Eat My Garbage. Very useful with all kinds of info on how to make and keep a wormery.

neatntidy

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 21:30 »
I'm planning on doing the same this winter. I found this design for a wheelie bin composter which is basically a wormery:

http://m.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Compost-Bin-From-a-Wheelie-Bin/

They have just introduced charges for green waste round here so loads of green bins going spare. Got two so far!

ptarmigan

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 08:01 »
I had a wornery and gave it away. It never really got started and I found keeping it going quite difficult and it produced not very much compost. I find the bung it all in the Dalek at home or compost heaps at plot method works better for me. 

Leave it a year and there's compost...

But I do know people who think they are great and no trouble...

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 08:11 »
I followed these instructions http://www.verticalveg.org.uk/how-to-make-your-own-wormery/ it works fine.

I also have a Bokashi bin and This has the advantage that you can put cooked food and meat into your compost safely. (Bokashiliving.com gives a good overview even if it is in Canada).

xx
HHHints No 28 Cheap hand made Wormery

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post December 28, 2007, 12:56
by lefrog
xx
Wormery

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 22:46
by SalJ1980
xx
wormery

Started by bradfordmale on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 19:38
by WG.
xx
Wormery!

Started by Oliver on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2006, 11:05
by Oliver

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 37 queries.