Cobra beans

• 3 Replies

Salmo

Cobra beans
« on: August 21, 2015, 21:07 »
First time growing Cobra climbing French beans. First, they did not want to grow but eventually decided to. Second, they climbed the hazel poles but then slid back down so were all crowded on the bottom 2/3rds. Third, the top growing tips do not continue to grow and produce flowers but just end in a bunch of beans. The other half of the frame is occupied by runners which fill the sticks and look a picture.

Is this the usual behaviour of climbing frenchies? They taste OK and are yielding well but I really think I would be better with my usual dwarf beans sown in succession.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 15:50 by Salmo »

madcat

Re: Cobra beans
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 11:27 »
I climb mine up plum sticks and then string on a munty frame and they climb nicely and keep going.  Are the hazel sticks very smooth so they cant grip? - they don't wind very tightly. I do have a problem with pigeons pecking the growing tips and put up sparkly strings to discourage them from landing.  Could that be why yours are getting stopped?
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 12:09 »
I, for some obscure reason which eludes me, have never successfully grown Cobra beans so can't answer for them, but other French beans seem to climb reasonably well once they have 'found' the canes. I use bamboo so other than the nodes they are smooth.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 14:42 »
I had similar trouble with them last year. Previous years they climbed fine. This year one or two have slid down the poles but one runner bean has done the same. I grow them up hazel poles but when I put them in I usually tie them with string onto the pole to get them started. Growing tips have kept going.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
cobra beans

Started by peterjf on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 15:02
by tode
xx
Cobra climbing beans

Started by Richard Butler on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 21:24
by JimB
xx
Cobra french beans

Started by maxie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2009, 17:20
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 29 queries.