tomatoes

• 32 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: tomatoes
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 17:16 »
Please stop rubbing the matter of green toms not ripening up north even further in mumofstig if they are yours thank q , you are right Snoop at least no blight, but  I have glut of cucumbers and no toms :(

No they are not mine, they were just to show Grannie the variety - not trying to rub it in honest. I'm sad for peeps still with nothing but green toms  :(

jambop

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 17:41 »
Is the foliage a bit wispy, Grannie?
If it is then it's probably Cornue des Andes

Those are like a thin CdB mum ! I would be willing to bet the CdB came off of them some where along the way.. bet the taste absolutely devine? My CbB are about two or there times the size, not a boast just the way they are, and taste so sweet and are very meaty...well named :)

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 20:58 »
Same here Sadgit ! The plants have lots of Tomatoes on. But the vast majority are marble size. I am going to have to cull all the tiny ones to try and get some decent sized fruit. Peppers are also a complete failure. Not even fruiting in many plants. Chillies are dire compared to last year. So all in all a very poor summer up North in the green house. That said have done well with Broccoli and onions !

BB

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 07:03 »
We've nearly finished the greenhouse Sungold, and the Gardener's delight are coming thick and fast now!

Mrs Growster and I have to go down to The Patch today, as we haven't been there since Monday, (decorating and carpeting), and I hope we'll stagger back with some Marmande, Gourmet and outdoor Sungold Reverts...

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 10:45 »
There should be a Geographical barrier on this site as people in the middle of England complaining about how far North they are, and the affect it is having on their crops ripening, is getting me down.       

Do you really need al that lettuce/

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 11:57 »
There should be a Geographical barrier on this site as people in the middle of England complaining about how far North they are, and the affect it is having on their crops ripening, is getting me down.     

That's interesting, Broken, because surely, the further North you go, the longer the daylight hours, and toms don't need high temps anyway.

I've only found this out recently, but down here, there is a particularly helpful weather pattern right now!

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 12:13 »
Yes you are right in so much as in May, June and July we do have long days but the Toms need the light and heat later in the year.       May has long days which often start with sub zero temps which Toms are somewhat allergic to.      I tend to have very young plants in the Greenhouse from early June and they are losing the light when they need it later in the year, it was dark last night at 20.00HRS and has been dark nearly all year with very low Temps especially at night when they have rarely been at or above 10 C. the minimum for Toms.

Cereal Famers in the South of England point to the long daylight hours further North and wish for such themselves as the crop would grow for longer.     Scottish Famers point out that the Cereal Crops are full of moisture and they need to spend more on dryers before they can sell their crops than they do in the South of England.    Maybe it is just the grass being greener.   

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 12:56 »
 :( or the sun is sunnier rather than grass is greener talk about the north south divide  :lol:
:D I garden therefore I am

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 18:20 »
I think that this year it might depend on how early your plants got away, so to speak.

I've got cherry tomatoes which were started off early in a greenhouse.  They are almost over.

I've also got cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets, which were bought later and smaller, and aren't yet really setting much fruit.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

green_lolly

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 21:31 »
I have a few varieties growing in pots and also in the ground.

First to ripen are the Red Alert at the allotment. Really pleased with them. Everything else is still firmly green.
diary http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=118734.0

photos on Instagram - user name also green_lolly

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 13:23 »
Have two Tigerella's that are finally turning to reddish yellow, next day another four have decided to turn.

oldgrunge

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 22:20 »
Same here Sadgit ! The plants have lots of Tomatoes on. But the vast majority are marble size. I am going to have to cull all the tiny ones to try and get some decent sized fruit. Peppers are also a complete failure. Not even fruiting in many plants. Chillies are dire compared to last year. So all in all a very poor summer up North in the green house. That said have done well with Broccoli and onions !

BB
Same here, tomatoes ripening, but slowly, chillies and peppers hardly ripening at all, compared with previous years. Also most of the basil just rotting off. Looks like being the worst season for years. 😢
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 00:02 »
Still very green for me too! I've got loads of green toms outside and inside the polytunnel. I've managed to harvest a few Sungold, there's one Tigerella that is ripening but the others are all refusing to ripen up.

This year I'm swapping the position on the shed and polytunnel because the shed gets more light, I think this isn't helping matters either (although it's never been a problem before).

Snoop

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 01:13 »
It's unseasonably cold here tonight. My tomato plants are already struggling and this could be the last straw as it can't be much above 10 ºC if that. What a bizarre year for weather.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 10:15 »
After a very grey/rainy and cool day yesterday, the temp went down to 11C last night. :ohmy:

So it's not just your weather that's strange, Snoop  :(

xx
Tomatoes

Started by Little Miss Muffet on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 17, 2007, 21:43
by corndolly
xx
Should I put the tomatoes out?

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 20:36
by Composto
xx
Tomatoes

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 10:33
by New shoot
xx
Can my tomatoes go out yet?

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 14:51
by andyw

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 31 queries.