parsnips

• 18 Replies

harry

parsnips
« on: July 30, 2015, 15:47 »
once again most of my parsnips have failed to germinate, is it too late to try some more now and what variety would anyone suggest.
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

Anton

Re: parsnips
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 15:53 »
I would have thought it is a bit late now, as they take a really long time to grow. Obviously, I am not an expert so wait until other people chime in.

I always start mine off in paper pots.

Anton

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 16:19 »
I start sowing parsnips in April if the weather is half decent, give them 4 weeks to show (or not) and sow again if necessary (in the gaps or in an adjacent drill) - I think early June is the very latest you could sow and expect to get any worthwhile crop from them I'm afraid.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 16:40 »
After doing nowt with snips in past years i took the plunge and ordered some parsnip tape from king seeds and followed the instructions. I am growing them in reclaimed square plastic cold water tanks and they are doing great.
I think they all must have germinated.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 19:20 »
Yes, far too late.  Feb - Apr is the main time for sowing.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 19:43 »
I've got a total of 5 parsnips growing from two sowings....and only one carrot, and that's now been slugged!  Sometimes best call it a day....

On the other hand I 'found' some wonderful cabbages growing I didn't know I had (mostly because I only sowed psb!)
Allotments huh? meh

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 07:04 »
3 attempts this year and I only succeeded once given fresh seed from a lady on the allotment, so I'm going to let a couple of mine go to seed for next year. I'm not going to thin just yet as the slugs may do it for me like they did with my second sowing of carrots :nowink:
2015-07-18 Parsnip and Carrots.jpg

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 10:12 »
I find it hard to thin seedlings seems so cruel ... am I sad ? so I carefully plant seeds 12" apart  and if one fails to germinate fill in a gap, have to say mine and carrots have germinated ok perhaps with it being cooler up here and more rain. ;)
:D I garden therefore I am

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 20:10 »
I have to say despite some failures with some veg. I have had better luck with parsnips. I tend to ignore the seed pack with there early sowings. I wait until late April. I plant them in deep tubs. I use the blue 200 litres ex food containers (water butts) cut in half.  Filled with a mix of half compost and half soil. The foliage is 2 foot high. I dug my fingers in the soil today and can feel the root. With at least 3 months to go I am expecting a decent crop.

BB

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 22:29 »
I had no luck at all from my first sowing of parsnips, but my 2nd lot have got about 50%, but I wouldn't try anymore now this late either.

I also hate thinning things out, but then my carrots go mad and I get too many really spindly ones, so 2 days ago I had a thin out and the chickens and the dog got the tiny ones! lol

alancas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 10:24 »
last year great parsnips ,this year none after 2 sowings.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 18:52 »
After years of at best very intermittent results, I have parsnips totally sorted. First of all I only use seed tapes; secondly I place them at a uniform 1 inch below the surface in soil that is worked to a fine tilth. Thirdly, and I think this is the real show-stopper, I don't even think about sowing them until early to mid April when the ground has really warmed up

harry

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 10:48 »
thanks for all the replys but it's as I feared no parsnips again, but at least my carrots are ok as long as the badger doesn't find them :D

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 12:59 »
Though most the advice is saying it's too late to sow, why not if you have the space?

You know the seed won't germinate next year so use up what you have now. I shall be.

Don't buy new seed yet tho.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 13:21 »
After years of at best very intermittent results, I have parsnips totally sorted. First of all I only use seed tapes; secondly I place them at a uniform 1 inch below the surface in soil that is worked to a fine tilth. Thirdly, and I think this is the real show-stopper, I don't even think about sowing them until early to mid April when the ground has really warmed up
What an error! I should have said that I don't even think of sowing them until early to mid MAY

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips what is the key?

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 22:05
by pushrod
xx
Parsnips

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 02, 2010, 16:39
by Goosegirl
xx
parsnips

Started by green jack on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 22:14
by Totty

Page created in 0.792 seconds with 31 queries.