Fox attack - How do I look after Gertrude?

• 6 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Fox attack - How do I look after Gertrude?
« on: July 26, 2015, 11:07 »
The fox got Gertrude and had carried a few yards when I disturbed him.  She was still alive but just lying on her side.  She's now in a cardboard box in the kitchen.

How long should I leave her in the box?  I want to keep checking she's alive, but presumably that would disturb her peace and quiet?  Would she be better in the hen house? Should I take her to the vet?

Thank you.  I feel so guilty, but hopefully she'll live and I can make it up to her.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Re: Fox attack - How do I look after Gertrude?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 13:44 »
She seems ok now,  if a little subdued, and she's eaten some tuna.  I've put her outside again (fox-proof enclosure), I hope this ok, it is wintery/rainy weather out there?

Touch wood she is going to be ok, I can't believe how lucky I've been.  She's a big girl with dense feathers, I don't know if this helped save her.

ghost61

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 14:05 »
Pleased to hear that she is recovering.  I would keep her indoors given the weather at the moment, unless she is doing normal chicken stuff outdoors, like preening, scratching about etc.  what about putting some poultry tonic in her water?  I use it when my hens are a bit down in the dumps, just to make sure that she's getting enough nutrients.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 14:46 »
Obviously no visible blood. The fox will return,so double check wire mesh and top and bottom of run for any holes     or digging.
Hope she is back to her normal self soon

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 15:04 »
Mine had bite marks, but not all bled. Check them over as they might need anti-biotics from the vet if you can see holes or puncture wounds. I got 3 birds treated with enough anti-biotics for 7 days for a tenner! One bird looked mangled and the third could not stand as her wing was traumatised.  I thought it was money well spent.  Mine were attacked during the night and I kept them in their boxes overnight, away from foxy.  I took them to the vet the following day.  Two were really bad though. All survived and had long, happy lives  :)

I got the boxes from the place I bought them. I think they cost a quid each  :)

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 17:40 »
She is not 100%, but has eaten some corn, so I've left her outside.  Although she's not doing chickeny things Ghost61, so I can't relax.  I will get her tonic or spice.

Do I need to get antibiotics?  I don't mind the cost, it's just the additional trauma of going to the vets.

There were feathers on the ground, but not as many I imagine you get in a bad attack, and she doesn't look mangled like your poor chooks Compostqueen.  He may not have managed to get his teeth in, but I can't be sure.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 20:15 »
You would need antibiotics if they are bitten and have puncture wounds

One of my hens was I thought in pieces  :ohmy:  She wasn't, it was just tonnes of feathers and part of a wing, one girls was injured by having her wing damaged and she couldn't stand up bless her.  She had the pain killing injection
The antibiotics drops are given daily for 7 days. That's a job for when they've just gone to bed. You lift them out and inject the stuff straight down their throat with a dropper. I know what you mean about trauma. They can be left to recover. If you think they need a vet don't hang about. You could ring them and see what they recommend

There is a list of poultry-friendly vets on here (a Sticky) which have been recommended by us on here  :)

xx
Say hello to Gertrude and Hilda

Started by Fluff on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 21:50
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Meet Mabel and Gertrude!

Started by beki on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 21:26
by Jellyhead
xx
Fox attack

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 09:23
by Robert_S
sad
Dog attack

Started by judrop on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 15:42
by Hayley'sHens

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 28 queries.