Raspberries in pots

• 8 Replies

Bath Bun

Raspberries in pots
« on: July 18, 2015, 18:33 »
I'm sadly going to have to give up my allotment following my mother's death and work but would like a little patch in my garden.  I have 10 raspberry canes which were the last Christmas present that mum gave me and would like to bring them back from the allotment.  I don't really want to put them in the garden as the patch would not be big enough (with the other bits I wish to grow) but have a patio with a wall (about 35cm wide) on which I could put some pots.  I wondered if I could grow the canes in pots.  I realise that the yield may not be as good and they will need attention and feeding but does anyone know whether it is feasible and what size pots (width and depth) that they would need.  I think the variety is Malling Jewel and they have cropped well this year.

Ivor Backache

Re: Raspberries in pots
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 21:31 »
The bigger the pot, the deeper the pot, so you will need a lot of soil and it will be heavy. Raspberries are shallow rooted, so I would consider planters. They can be made to fit on your wall, but you should be able to buy them. I too had some summer canes left over and planted them in plastic boxes 18" long by 12" and 12" deep. Had a reasonable crop but they needed constant watering. They grew less 'next years shoots' than ground rooted which makes me think that they are not suited to pots.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 10:43 »
Ivor - presume that was one cane per pot? Bath Bun - you should be able to get 12" wide x 12" deep plastic planters (length will depend on how many you can fit on your wall and get good quality ones so they don't deteriorate with the sunlight), fill them almost to the top with topsoil mixed with some well-rotted manure (you can buy this if you haven't got any) rather than MPC to help with moisture retention and maybe stand them on those little pot supports to help with drainage, then plant them as normal with some added bonemeal and a light foliar feed on the leaves to help them establish. I'd maybe cut the canes down by a third to lessen the stress of being re-planted - not sure - see how they go. You will also need some support to tie the canes onto. Next year you can feed them by sprinkling chicken manure pellets or BFB, plus an occasional foliar feed or use those long-lasting feed granules mixed into the top inch of the soil. After doing this, as the soil will have settled over winter, add some mushroom compost to top the pots up which will also help with moisture retention. Re- your mum, you could always get a little plaque to put on the wall.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 12:25 »
Ivor - presume that was one cane per pot?.   Yes

I'd maybe cut the canes down by a third to lessen the stress of being re-planted - not sure - see how they go.
Cutting summer canes now would affect next year's crop. I am assuming that you would give up the allotment at the end of the season, because now is not a good time to move raspberry plants. You can select the best plants and reduce the canes to say 1 or 2 to maintain a good root system.

lettice

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 16:22 »
Just for fun I bought a couple of the Goodlands 99p store raspberries earlier this year.
Put them in 12 inch pots and they have grown to 4 feet.
Had a few pounds of raspberries from each already and looking like loads more to come.

Not sure what I will do with them next year, would like to keep them in a pot, assume slightly bigger pot and some hard pruning.

Bath Bun

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 20:31 »
Hello all, for some reason didn't get notification of replies so apologies for not replying before.

Thanks for all your advice.  I have a ledge to one side of the patio which is 35cm from back to front so could accommodate 12" pots OK, just got to find some the right depth (I've had a look in a couple of places without success so far).  I know they will need a lot of watering and feeding, that's fine.  They will be in a place which is warm and sunny most of the day against a wall so is sheltered.  I guess if it doesn't work then they will have to go into the garden but I will only have a small veg patch so they would probably take up a lot of space.  I have the allotment officially until September so wouldn't be looking to move them until the very last moment that I can.  There are so additional smaller shoots appearing at the moment out of the row so I had thought about potting those up at the moment as an insurance policy.

LotuSeed

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 08:18 »
Since you have a sentimental connection to the plant, might I suggest transplanting at least a few canes into your garden at home. That way if anything went wrong with the ones in the pot you'd have backups. Also since you have the plot until September you could try tip rooting some of the plants now. Digging up and transplanting the new shoots is probably a good idea too. They'll silk for a bit but should recover in a few days time.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 18:06 »
Just a thought might you be better to plant some of the annual vegetables in to tubs on your shelf & use some of the other available space for the raspberries
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Bath Bun

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 20:16 »
Hi guys

Thanks for your ideas.  Using pots for other things to put the canes in the garden really is something I hadn't thought of.  I had thought of potting up some of the new shoots/suckers now just in case.  I've been waiting for some rain before doing so, it's been so dry here now for some time and there's no susbtitute for rain.

xx
Autumn Bliss Raspberries pots

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 09:34
by richyrich7
xx
swede V paper pots or peat pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 19:28
by rowlandwells
xx
Pots Grown In Pots For Christmas.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 21:32
by mkhenry
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 28 queries.