Slow squash question

• 22 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: Slow squash question
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 22:11 »
My squashes have only just taken off - they will have a massive growth spurt - Guinness makes a good feed for squashes and pumpkins if diluted  ;) :)

Sometimes I despair...   ;)

as much as I like squash...

come on now...  :(

Pip pip,
Balders

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 15:22 »
My squashes have only just taken off - they will have a massive growth spurt - Guinness makes a good feed for squashes and pumpkins if diluted  ;) :)
What is in Guinness that is beneficial for squash plants?
No idea!
But it works  ;)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 18:59 »
Does anyone have any good ideas how I can protect my squash from squirrels this year? Netting all the plants isn't an option. I just need to stop the b**gers gnawing their way through my biggest and best ones as they ripen (which has happened for the past 2 years).

I was thinking about some sort of cage from chicken wire but haven't exactly worked it out yet. Does anyone else have this problem? No one else On our site does :(

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 23:37 »
Not here. I have a huge slug/snail problem - they are eating the female flowers when they open, which means the fruits then can't be pollinated. Massively frustrating - have lost 5 squash so far to them.

Hope the chicken wire helps!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 18:42 »
Oh no! Other than trying to raise the flowers up a bit (put a log or something underneath?) and hand pollinating as soon as you spot them I am not sure what else to suggest. I caught the squirrels eating my prize squash last year - with it smeared round its face. I am determined to outwit them this year!

Gazza76

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 19:44 »
Does anyone have any good ideas how I can protect my squash from squirrels this year?

Blitz the hottest chillies you can get with water in blender, let mixture steep for awhile, strain mixture and put resulting water into sprayer, spray on squash.

Seen a guy in the USA do this to stop raccoons and ground hogs eating his squashes and melons, also to stop squirrels eating sweetcorn. Not tried this myself but imagine one would need to be very careful when preparing and handling such a concoction   ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 19:47 by Gazza76 »

Scottish Mike

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 23:07 »
Only 1 of 6 female flowers have set over 2 potimarron squash plants for me so far. And that's trying hand pollination.  All the flowers have been full of pollen beetles - I don't know if they've been a factor.

Also, my munchkin pumpkins and Tennessee spinning gourds are really slow and not spreading up their arch, or even flowering for that matter! May not be a bad thing; not decided on the final position for the pots.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 23:08 by Scottish Mike »

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 17:18 »
Does anyone have any good ideas how I can protect my squash from squirrels this year?

Blitz the hottest chillies you can get with water in blender, let mixture steep for awhile, strain mixture and put resulting water into sprayer, spray on squash.

Seen a guy in the USA do this to stop raccoons and ground hogs eating his squashes and melons, also to stop squirrels eating sweetcorn. Not tried this myself but imagine one would need to be very careful when preparing and handling such a concoction   ;)

Interesting idea... I am guessing this flavours the skin of the squash which means we won't want to eat it either and on some squash we eat the skins. Might be an option for the bigger/tougher types though...

xx
Butternut Squash are so slow to get going

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 06:42
by DD.
xx
squash question

Started by owein on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 11:26
by owein
xx
Another Squash question(s)

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 14:17
by prakash_mib
xx
squash question

Started by eeyore on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 23:36
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.937 seconds with 37 queries.