Cherry surprise.

• 7 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Cherry surprise.
« on: July 08, 2015, 16:45 »

We've got about twenty five cherries on our espalier.  Spent some time earlier in the year ensuring all 'entry points' in the fruit cage were sealed so Mr and Mrs Blackbird had to look elsewhere.  They are Just ripening/darkening and already the taste knocks shop bought jobs into a 'cocked 'at'.

Cheers,  Tony. :)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Cherry surprise.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 16:52 »
It must be the year to thwart blackbirds  :lol:

The small tree at the plot has been safely secured inside the fruit cage, and at home for some reason our regular presence in the garden kept the blighters away, so we have had  a real feast, for the first time  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 17:12 »
Marvellous news, Tony!

One of our Patch neighbours has just spent an absolute fortune on netting, and we were pleased to see how angry a certain blackbird was, when he realised he really was out in the cold! Mr B was just leaping about the top nets in pure anguish, and just couldn't get in!

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 19:40 »
I must be really soft, then.  I picked our cherries this afternoon, not as many this year as last, but I had them netted to prevent the blackbirds taking them all.  Why is it then, that I still left a dozen or so cherries on my little tree as a treat for the blackbirds?  I justified it as a reward for the beautiful songs they sing as dawn breaks in the summer mornings - a sound that I have heard ever since I can remember, and one that I would miss dearly if the blackbirds weren't around.  When I was very young, we also awoke to the sound of cocks crowing, but, sadly, that is frowned on in these modern times.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 20:12 »
I managed all of three eating cherries this year (down on last year's 5) in the back garden.  However, they don't seem to have found the Morello's in the front garden.  Usually, I go out to find nothing but the stone hanging by the stalk (how do they do that?), but I may have enough for a whole liter of cherry brandy this year (small tree)!  :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 05:26 »
I must be really soft, then.  I picked our cherries this afternoon, not as many this year as last, but I had them netted to prevent the blackbirds taking them all.  Why is it then, that I still left a dozen or so cherries on my little tree as a treat for the blackbirds?  I justified it as a reward for the beautiful songs they sing as dawn breaks in the summer mornings - a sound that I have heard ever since I can remember, and one that I would miss dearly if the blackbirds weren't around.  When I was very young, we also awoke to the sound of cocks crowing, but, sadly, that is frowned on in these modern times.

Like !  :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 19:12 »

Ditto!     Cheers,  Tony. :)

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 10:15 »
someone is as soft as me :D
:D I garden therefore I am

xx
'Early Rivers' Cherry Tree 5-6 ft , Found a'Dwarf cherry' is this better?

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 14:27
by Judd
xx
surprise surprise!

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 21:47
by 1st time veg grower
xx
Surprise PSB

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 09, 2013, 08:15
by Grubbypaws
xx
Pea Shoots- surprise

Started by mobilekat on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 17:26
by zarazara

Page created in 0.586 seconds with 28 queries.