I know it's a bit late, but...

• 10 Replies

erikaz1

I know it's a bit late, but...
« on: July 08, 2015, 12:32 »
I know it's a bit late in the season but I've not had chance to get anything going properly this year. My efforts have been focused on clearing the garden (10 years of neglect and far too many out of control trees) ready to hopefully have a better year next year. Yesterday I got fed up of faffing about for no real reward and decided it was about time I did something about it. We bashed together a couple of planters out of some old timber my lovely old neighbours left for me when they moved house, got them painted and this morning I filled them and have now got carrots, leaf salad and some rather optimistic beetroots planted. I've got my fingers crossed, I'm not expecting great things but it has at least given me something to watch over the next few months :)
20150708_113456_resized_1.jpg

Willow_Warren

Re: I know it's a bit late, but...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 12:44 »
Your planters look good, your dog looks lovely - best keep the paws out though!

I'm sure you'll get something for you efforts.

Your view looks amazing - as does the stone wall....

Hannah :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 13:54 »
It's still time to sow some dwarf French beans as well.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

green_lolly

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 13:59 »
How about some other quick growing salad crops like radish and spring onion?
diary http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=118734.0

photos on Instagram - user name also green_lolly

ptarmigan

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 15:37 »
It's a good time to plant bulb fennel apparently, less likely to bolt if sown now...

erikaz1

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 16:10 »
Brilliant suggestions, thank you all (lovely people) :)

I've bashed together another planter this afternoon. I need to get it painted before trotting off to work for the evening so hopefully I can get it filled tomorrow. I've left space in the first two for another row of carrots (to be planted in a few weeks) and another small patch of leaf salad. Planter 3 is built of heavier timber so there's a fighting chance it might last a little longer too.

As for the dog, yes,she really is rather special. She's been trained to dig holes in the right spots and was absolutely brilliant when we were planting all the fruit trees. All I have to do now is take out the surface roots and leave the rest to the dog. Unfortunately the soil doesn't land in a very neat heap but I know she does her best!

cudsey

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 18:46 »
I have had problems with beetroot this year very healthy leaf growth but beetroot only the size of marbles I have done 3 sowings so far this year and all the same some have been in since March does anybody know the reason and is it too late to sow some more just to say that I have never had problems with beetroot before

thanks for any advice

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 19:39 »
Not too late to sow some more. Given the weather have they had enough water my plot is like the Sahara at present unless I water

HH
Keep digging

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 20:27 »
Cudsey ,  I had a good beetroot crop last year , but this year has been very disappointing. As to why, maybe one of our more experienced members can shed light on this.

Erikaz, Like the planters and your four legged friend!   Plan ahead for next year , generate some compost if possible and work into your soil. You mentioned 10 years of tree growth and neglect, that will take a bit of time to put right, but the effort will be worth while . My family love the potatoes that we grow , so much more flavour and more filling.

Lots of useful pages on here and plenty of people to help with any questions you may have.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

cudsey

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 20:10 »
Thank you for advice will try sowing some more

erikaz1

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 10:47 »
Just a quick update... there are now peas and beans in, as well as beetroot, carrots, leaf salad. The salad is beginning to make an appearance but the rest just look like pots of compost.

Tenhens - the pots are made of bits of old fence panel I had stacked in the garage so it's a clearer garage and new (nearly) free containers. All I had to buy were nails and wood stain. I'm really hoping to be able to get some potatoes in next year but there's a LOT of digging to do before then.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.
xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
to late to plant "late" potatos?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:53
by Beanzie
xx
is it to late

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 07, 2006, 13:31
by stompy

Page created in 0.635 seconds with 29 queries.