Hen Holidays

• 3 Replies

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
Hen Holidays
« on: June 23, 2015, 23:06 »
Collected my three hens this morning from Julie the lady we bought them from some 13 months ago :)

I did struggle to find someone to look after my hens whilst we went on holiday and last October I asked Julie who agreed to take them in "Bird and Breakfast". She puts them up in a large ark charges £1 per hen per day and keeps the eggs.

We have used her service now three times and it has worked very well. She is a very experienced hen lady so we are very confident they are in good hands. No free ranging though and certainly no grapes or other treats.

This time and the time before was for a long weekend, last October it was for the week.

I usually take the birds over the day before we go and collect them the day after we come back, this gives us plenty of time to handle and deliver them properly.  This time we trialed carrying them in a small dog crate, which worked perfectly, much better than the cardboard box, as they could see out, settled in the back of the car with the seats down and the radio on. I kept an eye on them with the interior mirror :lol:

One of my birds even gave me an egg this morning after I had settled them back into their Eglu  :D

rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

LotuSeed

Re: Hen Holidays
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 00:22 »
Bird n Breakfast. Cute lol🐓🐔
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 16:56 »
I had cardboard travel boxes for mine from the poulterer but they had a "window" in. They feel happier if they can see out, bless em  :)

My son used to look after my girls if we went away for a day. I don't think I left em longer than that  :D  You can't leave em unattended. They have to have sitters.  Your arrangement sounds wonderful  :)

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 19:49 »
I use a chichotel in Stafford and pay 7 pounds per week its a good idea and I know that when I am away they are being looked after properly. Its also the farm where I buy my birds from so I know the people as well  :nowink: like the bird and breakfast.
Pull up a perch!!

xx
holidays

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 08:03
by Sideshoot
xx
Holidays

Started by rcandy2001 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2009, 12:57
by WhatCameFirst
xx
Eglu for the holidays

Started by melc1962 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 21:06
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Chicken holidays?

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 21:16
by henamoured

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 28 queries.