Digging and Rotavator Decisions! Help!

• 12 Replies

mrsmarieanne

• New kid on the allotment block!
Digging and Rotavator Decisions! Help!
« on: June 01, 2015, 12:56 »
Hi all

I'm new to owning an allotment and the moment I have only got a small amount done. I have managed to dig a small plot and dig it over 3 times but I believe it needs digging over again as the soil still looks a bit clumped together.

I have also recently strimmed down and covered a large area of grass so that I can begin the process of digging 2 new plots once the grass has died.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma of what to do next. Firstly I'm unsure of how long it will take the grass to die? I have covered it up with tarpaulin and don't really have an idea of when I can begin my next plan of attack, which is to begin digging the next 2 plots.

I know it's  bit late in the day to be preparing my plot but I'm determined to have a good go and start planting asap. What I need to know is whats the best thing is to do.

I was thinking of digging each plot over  (1 - 2 spades down) once and then use a rotavator to turn the soil over, however I was unsure of how long I will need to hire a rotavator for?

I'm happy to spend all day rotavating both plots but do I need to let the soil settle and then rotavate the plots again? Also is it enough to just dig the area once and then use a rotavator?

I hope I'm making sense!? I've tried to look this up but so far have only managed to find information regarding planting and not techniques/advice regarding the preparation stages etc.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Marieanne

cadalot

Re: Digging and Rotavator Decisions! Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 13:16 »
I would definitely not Rotavate until it had been hand dug and weeded otherwise your just making problems for yourself, there is a similar thread on here somewhere.

Also check out http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment/clearing-new-allotment-plot.php

Jason1971

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 20:30 »
has cadalot says ,plus  you can also try planting through any weed suppressant you have down to but cutting crosses in the fabric and planting through that ,then you can commence to dig that patch when your plants come out .
dont stress just enjoy your learning experience

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 21:31 »
If you definitely want to get planting, you need to get a move on...on that basis, I'd be inclined to rent a turf cutter and cut the top layer of turf off, stack it to one side and leave it to compost over time. If the ground looks like it has lots of perennial weeds in it, you would be better off digging those out by hand before rotavating.

If you're concerned about the soil quality and the 'clumps' you should address that issue and rotavate in a LOAD of compost or manure. You can get bulk bags of compost from your council, bung a load of that on and rotavate it in and you'll have much better soil. Great soil takes time though so don't be worried if it is pretty clumpy, as long as you can dig a hole to get something in, you can always put a dollop of compost in when planting out.

I noticed that Charles Dowding (the 'no dig' guy) used council compost on a site so whilst it's not going to have the nutrients in it that 'proper' compost will have, it would make a good soil conditioner or basis for raised beds.

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 22:25 »
One thing you could try is planting some spuds.

When I had a new plot (with grass areas), I cut out a square of turf, loosened the soil below the turf square, planted the spuds in the hole and turned the turf over (green side down) on the top. Whilst its not perfect, you're forced to dig it again later in the season to get the potatoes out, the tops tend to smother the weeds and you can pay more attention to another area.

If you want it rotavated, see if there's somebody who will do it for you on our allotment there's a guy who owns a powerful rotavator who will turn an allotment for about 30 quid.

My main suggestion is don't try to double dig it all before you plant anything, deal with a smallish area, plant it with something that isn't too fussy (sweetcorn's good and the plants are available now) and move on. It is too easy to spend all one's time digging and ending up with nothing planted.

My allotment is eleven 20ftx6ft beds and I process them one or two at a time, dig and plant then move on to deal with the next ones.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 09:30 »
I wouldn't bother double digging everywhere in the first year, you'll never get anything planted. In fact many people never double dig, or rotovate. I've only done it on a few troublesome pieces of my plot.

This first year just divide the plot up into bed areas. Then lift the top layer of these and leave this in a heap to rot down - cover it with thick black plastic to stop it regrowing and seeding everywhere. (By next year you will be able to dig it out onto the beds removing any roots you see, as you go.)

Dig out any deep rooting weeds as you go (bin bag for them) bash any big clods of earth with fork or spade to break them up a bit. Rake any lumps to one side and then start planting stuff :)

If it's still very cloddy and you want to sow seeds, make a drill (a groove an inch or so deep), fill with fine soil or bought compost, and sow into that. You just have to keep the drill damp if the weather turns dry - we should be so lucky  ::)

Next year you will be able to turn the pile of now dead grass you lifted, onto the beds removing any roots you see, as you go.
The ground does get less cloddy each year as you work it, and add your plot-made compost or manure if you can get some from a safe source.

Good Luck!

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 12:05 »
I believe potatoes (and leeks?) are good at breaking up the soil so I'd go for that plus follow the advice on here.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

grendel

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 12:50 »
I just rotovate, I have a little 3.5 hp rotovator, and the plot gets rotovated, after 2 goes over I start planting, each visit the remainder gets rotovated again, then any weeds get pulled up from the rows once things start growing, this is down to just having 1 day a week to get to the plot, for maybe 3 or 4 hours. if I tried digging my back would probably give out on the first row.
Its not the best way, but is the only way I can keep on top of my half plot at the moment.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

fatcat1955

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 18:54 »
I rough dig in the Autumn and then rotovate in the spring.  My rotovator turns at a low speed so does not chop up weeds like a high speed one. I pick up any weeds that have been thrown out by the rotovator and then rake it to a fine tilth.

grendel

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 19:32 »
mine wraps the weeds around  the tines, so the first go each year I spend more time stopping and clearing than rotovating.
Grendel

crh75

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 09:37 »
I usually fork out any large or deep rooted weeds before rotovating for that reason.  However, if rough dug in Autumn then by spring it is usually still pretty clear.

mrsmarieanne

• New kid on the allotment block!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 15:06 »
Thanks so much for all your comments and feedback - they have really helped!

I think i'm going to get stuck in and see where I end up. Wish me luck :)

m1ckz

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 17:07 »
good luck

xx
decisions, decisions!

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 12:42
by andtiggertoo
xx
my way digging

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2016, 21:48
by 3759allen
xx
Digging

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 19:30
by Maarten
xx
Who's been digging in my bed?

Started by Hopalong on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 25, 2008, 07:42
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.571 seconds with 43 queries.