rhubarb

• 10 Replies

gypsy

rhubarb
« on: May 27, 2015, 22:14 »
My Victoria rhubarb is 4 yrs old this yr.
I am disappointed with it this yr, its has very thin stems. Last October I covered it in rotted manure, as I did with my other rhubarb, any suggestions please.
Catherine

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 07:46 »
Perhaps it needs splitting this winter.

ptarmigan

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:16 »
If you split rhubarb do you have to pick it lightly the next year.

gypsy

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:13 »
I did not pick any stems the first yr and only picked lightly the 2nd yr. Last yr I did not over pick so not really had much from these plants, I do not think that they are ready for splitting yet. My neighbour on one side has the same problem but another neighbour has a fantastic crop.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 09:26 »
My Timperley Early is a great, triffid like producer but the Victioria right next to it has been consistently poor over the last 3 years. Another Victoria on the other side of the plot has been equally poor. All plants have been treated the same and are in their 3rd year.

Might be a matter of luck for me, but unlucky for my Victoria as they are going to be pulled out and composted this year.

Pip pip,
Balders

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 16:57 »
I thin pm it is definitely down to variety. My neighbours rhubarb has always looked a bit thin and 'nothingy' I rescued my crowns from an area that had become a dumping ground/compost heap at the edge of my jungle and didn't really expect much from them. I gave them a year and by  the second year they have been growling like a jungle ever since - I have far more than we can eat and I give lots away (this is now their third year). I have no idea of the variety but it seems to be quite an early one

Mar

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 17:29 »
The plot that I have just been given has been unworked for at least 3 years and was a right old tip but for some reason the rhubarb is absolutely marvellous.  All I know is that it is relatively old and never been cared for but it  is very healthy and a prolific grower. You can almost see it grow! My neighbour on the allotment site is telling me that his rhubarb actually came from the same stuff and his is, without being rude, absolute rubbish even though he manures it and tends it lovingly ;). Its thin and sparse. Maybe rhubarb grows better left to its own devices! 

simonwatson

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 16:31 »
If you over pick from Rhubarb consistently, year on year, the stalks get thinner and thinner until it dies, no matter how well you feed it, as the roots become depleted of energy. The untended rhubarb has had three years of uninterrupted growth putting lots of energy into the roots. I'm surprised it hasn't started to resemble gunnera!!

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 21:56 »
If you over pick from Rhubarb consistently, year on year, the stalks get thinner and thinner until it dies, no matter how well you feed it, as the roots become depleted of energy. The untended rhubarb has had three years of uninterrupted growth putting lots of energy into the roots. I'm surprised it hasn't started to resemble gunnera!!
p

Not doubting you - but I've basically not picked anything from my 2 Victoria plants over the last 3 years... makes no odds, both have remained useless. Clearly if this happened to everyone no-body would bother with them. My Timperley Early gets picked from late Feb till Sept - I don't completely decimate it and it just goes and goes. Over this winter I split out two chunks to pass on to other plotholders - both are already giving some cropable stalks. Guess I struck lucky with it from BnQ a few years back...

Pip pip,
Balders

EllenJane

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 22:42 »
I actually feel the more I harvest my rhubarb crowns the happier they are. One year I didn't keep on top of the picking and they gave up earlier than usual. Mine gets very little care and attention (has masses of couch grass and brambles in it as well) and gives us masses of fruit every year, apart from that year I didn't pick as much.

I think it's a late variety, it's always later than everyone else's, I inherited it so have no idea on variety, so I force one crown and then leave that alone, and pick the rest until about mid June time. No idea whether this is the 'right' thing to do or not but seems to work for me!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 22:44 by EllenJane »

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 09:54 »
Had another thought on the matter - I think I grew the Victoria from seed, just to see if I could. Seed grown rhubarb are apparently often not too good as you don't know what traits it will inherit from its parents.
My experience seems to echo this.

Pip pip,
Balders

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
rhubarb

Started by ferret1988 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 14:01
by fatcat1955
angry
I've had it with rhubarb

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2017, 21:54
by snowdrops
xx
Rhubarb,what next

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 20:36
by pod

Page created in 0.869 seconds with 32 queries.