No dig method or rotivate - opinions please

• 18 Replies

BabbyAnn

Re: No dig method or rotivate - opinions please
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 12:30 »
You'd think rotovating it would spread it even further  :tongue2:

yes and no - yes if it is just a one off rotavation, but those who use a rotavator regularly (before spring, before planting, after lifting crops, before winter) must chop the growing tips under the soil surface so all the food/energy in root stores are in constant grow mode but with no green tops are unable to photosynthesise to replenish stores, so will eventually give up (the theory LOL)

Comfr3y

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 18:11 »
I think there's a distinction to be drawn between rotovating and dig/no-dig. I for example dig out perennial weeds and mulch very heavily using cardboard. I wouldnt rotovate any more as theres evidence it destroys beneficial fungal communities, spreads weeds & can compact the soil (paradoxically). But then I accept I am managing a standard size plot might feel differently if had a bigger area. (cf. teaming with microbes jeff lewis)

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 18:57 »
I don't dig at all, after watching (a farm for the future) there was nothing left in the soil, the birds had it all, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 22:25 »
When we moved 3 years ago my veg plot was an old field that had been covered in trees up until 10 years ago, surrounded by large beech and oak trees. In the first year I didn't have the time or patience to wait to get veg and fruit bushes in so I pocket planted basically dug a larger than usual hole and back filled with compost, bonemeal and manure mix. I marked out 12 5m x 2m beds and stripped the turf of the first 4 which I again pocket planted with all my winter veg (I moved in beg August 2012). The 2nd year my husband  stripped the rest of the turf off and managed to dig  over 10 beds adding manure and compost by the trailer load. I pocket planted the rest of the beds which worked well. This our 3rd year we can already see a difference in the soil from being pale heavy clay to darker crumblier soil. This year it's just a light fork to add more compost and bonemeal. We'll add more manure this autumn. I can't wait till next spring when we'll be practising the No Dig Method!!

xx
To rotivate or not ?

Started by Mega on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 09:29
by stuart curran
xx
When best to rotivate!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 13, 2013, 13:45
by JayG
xx
Best Month To Rotivate?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2011, 19:31
by Babstreefern
xx
No-dig method - how do you do it?

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 10:58
by Salkeela

Page created in 2.196 seconds with 36 queries.