Purple Majesty potatoes - five weeks in the ground and flower buds forming!

• 9 Replies

Snoop

Purple Majesty are apparently an early maincrop type of potatoe. I planted them five weeks ago about six inches down. I went to earth them up for the first time this morning (about 15 cm above ground), only to see that flower buds are already forming on quite a few of the plants.

Other info: of all my potato varieties, these have the smallest leaves and are also the least vigorous as regards height. A friend told me they needed more nutrients, but I've got two beds with mixed Dunluce and PMs and Rooster and PMs, and the Dunluce and Roosters in these beds look like all the others (growing fast, big leaves and vibrant green), so I don't think it's a nutrient problem. I presumed the PMs are simply smaller plants all round, but flowering at this stage makes me think there must be some kind of problem with them.

There's probably nothing I can do except nip the buds off and leave them as long as possible, but thought I'd ask in case anyone had any views or ideas.

Ivor Backache

I have not heard of this variety, so I Googled it. This all purple potato was developed in South America in the hill regions and can withstand frosts better. 85 days to mature with a height od 2' and a spread of 1'. What you describe seems to be quite normal, so let things take their course.  Some of my early potatoes in buckets are flowering but they were planted 9 weeks ago, and are nearly ready.

Snoop

That's interesting. The bag came with instructions for all maincrops - 18 to 22 weeks. I was expecting 18 weeks to harvest, not 12. Thanks, Ivor. Looks like we'll be eating them earlier than I thought.

For you info, I've not tried these before. A friend got them for me and insisted I plant them, as he says they make the best baked and roast potatoes he's ever had.

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
I grew them a couple of years ago quite heavy croppers but, in my soil anway, no great taste
Do you really need al that lettuce/

Snoop

I grew them a couple of years ago quite heavy croppers but, in my soil anway, no great taste

He told me they're no great shakes boiled or steamed, but great when done in the oven or fried.

Out of interest, do you by any chance remember how long they took? After Ivor Backache suggested 85 days, I had a look around the internet and even came across one site suggesting 70 days, making them a first early (according to my veg growing books), not an early maincrop.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Although not in accordance with general labelling, perhaps by ' early maincrop' they mean non-salad (i.e. better for the standard maincrop usage such as roast) which is ready more quickly than a usual maincrop.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
Don't remember actual time taken to mature, problem was that I didn't ever wish to grow them it was her who must be obeyed.      Lefted them thinking I could show they weren't worth growing and was quite surprised at the yield, short shaws neglected more than looked after in acid soil made worse with a top dressing of wood chips.

Snoop

Although not in accordance with general labelling, perhaps by ' early maincrop' they mean non-salad (i.e. better for the standard maincrop usage such as roast) which is ready more quickly than a usual maincrop.

The UK Potato Council Database describes them as an early maincrop variety suitable for salads  :unsure:

http://varieties.potato.org.uk/varieties/view/Purple%20Majesty

That said, just about everywhere else I've looked says just roasting, baking and frying.

Anyway, it sounds like they're only doing what's expected and there is in fact nothing wrong with them. So I was just fretting about nothing (not for the first time).

Lefted them thinking I could show they weren't worth growing and was quite surprised at the yield

Well, that's good news for me at least!

pdblake

• Experienced Member
I grew these last year and didn't get a brilliant crop. I dug them up as maincrop.  Trying again this year and mine are growing just the same rate as the other maincrops I have in.

Discovered that while they taste just like a normal spud, purple mash is a bit off putting :unsure:  Will try them roasted and baked this year  :D

Snoop

Discovered that while they taste just like a normal spud, purple mash is a bit off putting :unsure:  Will try them roasted and baked this year  :D

Yes, I'm not sure about purple mash either and to be honest I wouldn't have grown them if my friend hadn't bought them as a gift. However, it's possible they might work well in a beetroot and potato salad...

I'll be interested to see what the crop is like. They don't look as vigorous as my other potatoes, that's for sure.

xx
Purple Majesty seed Potatoes?

Started by Ace on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 20:32
by digalotty
xx
Potato flower buds dropping off.

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 16:26
by tosca100
xx
My blackcurrant bushes have flower buds on them

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 20:05
by Beetroot queen
xx
chilli pepper flower buds dying off.

Started by kevchan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 15:34
by gregmcalister

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 37 queries.