Bird scarer

• 4 Replies

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
Bird scarer
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:54 »
Hi.
I'd like your advice. I don't have chickens, but the next door allotment does - I'm quite fond of them! I've been bought a bird scarer to keep rabbits and pigeons away. It's a long pole with a hawk type kite on the end.
I went to put it up yesterday, and one of the chickens was out next door. It started squawking and ran in to the hut. It carried on making the noise for several minutes. Loosely translated I think it was say 'don't go out there there's a hawk going to eat us all'! I've left it up to see if they get used to it. I don't see the next door plot owner often and would like to see if it's causing a problem. Do any of you have any experience of this - should I take it down prompto or will they get used to it?

Thanks

Amanda
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
Re: Bird scarer
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 10:14 »
I would imagine they will get used to it but not sure what your neighbour will think in the short term whilst they get use to it. I would imagine it is the whole hawk thing as my birds are not bothered by shiny or noisy type bird scarers what so ever.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:49 »
You may want to pop a note on the hutch door, Boddy, as the egg production might be down!

We're thinking of putting one up like your's, and there are chooks next to us as well! We just talk to them, but they may not want to talk back...

Hmmm....

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 09:20 »
Chooks instinctively recognise birds of prey and will be terrified. Not sure they will get used to it and very likely to stop them laying. Sorry  ???
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Beekissed

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 22:57 »
They'll get used to it eventually.  It may make them so used to such things that they no longer get too alarmed at the real thing and become easy prey, but then, your hawk may just keep other hawks from wanting to come in.  I'd just talk to your neighbor and tell them why you've done it and monitor the results.  Could turn out to benefit you all, who knows? 

xx
Magpie Scarer

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 13:22
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Bird Flu??

Started by chickychick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 15, 2007, 18:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bird flu

Started by Selkie on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 20:45
by Selkie
sad
Sad Looking Bird

Started by dad3 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2011, 18:21
by Derculees

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 36 queries.