Potatoes

• 9 Replies

mdjlucan

Potatoes
« on: April 20, 2015, 05:43 »
Potatoes  i've just planted into the ground   Do I need to keep the grand flat for now  ? Thanks
metal detector man

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:02 »
You can mound the rows up now, or cover the leaves as they grow - both methods seem to work ok.

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 07:15 »
i mound mine as i plant each row  but as above  its how you like to do it  all works out the same

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 07:48 »
If you leave the ground flat the soil at potato level gets more warmth from the sun. As they emerge pull the soil over them bit by bit, first to protect from frost, and later to prevent green potatoes and destroy germinating weeds.

If you earth them up too much when you plant the potatoes can break out of the side of the ridge as they will always take the shortest route to the light.

mdjlucan

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 07:49 »
O k thanks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:14 »
I second Salmo's way of little and often.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 09:51 »
I like to earth-up as late as possible, that way I still have the chance if we get a late frost.  I reckon that if you ridge / earth-up on Day One the spuds will hurry to the light, and be out of the top of a full ridge height sooner than earthing up "later".

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 10:56 »
I'm in the 'little and often' camp (but not so often that you run out of soil to earth up with just before your last frost warning of the year and have to go on a mad scramble to find your fleece and some pegs!  :ohmy:)

The leaves are the source of the starch for the tubers, so it makes sense to me to get the leaves to the light ASAP, which means not planting excessively deeply or earthing up too early or by too much, although it is of course essential to keep them protected from frost for as long as that remains a risk.

Earthing up isn't just about avoiding frost damage and green potatoes - much of the crop comes from shoots produced from the underground stems, so the original seed spuds need to finish up quite deep even if they weren't originally planted very deeply.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

simonwatson

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 16:08 »
I plant mine deep, using a bulb planter, as there's often late frost this far north. Judging by how long the growth is in my vegetable cupboard from the odd small potato I forget about, I'd be surprised if anything less than about 2 feet down is really too deep.

The advantage of this is that I always have lots of soil left to earth up with if I need to.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 15:44 »
My method is to dig a trench and mound the soil up alongside. Plant the potatoes in the trench and cover with 2 or 3" of soil. As the foliage comes through you can easily pull the mounded up soil over it - carry on until the trenches become the mounds. This not only makes earthing up easier, but has the advantage that rain can more easily reach the tubers in the early stages.
Rachael

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
Potatoes !!!

Started by clarkey95 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 15:44
by DD.

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 38 queries.