Plug tomatoes plants!!!!!!!1

• 20 Replies

Mrs Bee

Plug tomatoes plants!!!!!!!1
« on: April 16, 2015, 19:14 »
I have loads of tomato plants, but I was seduced into sending for some free tomato plugs from T and M, just paying the postage, although the postage was some what steep. They were unusual tomatoes and I thought why not.

And the first lot arrived in plastic packaging but with no top to keep the moisture in the plants. They were just held in place with the cardboard which was also  the envelope.

The plants were dry and they were growing almost at right angles. :ohmy:

I let T and M know what I thought of their plants. They said they were sorry and would send me some more.
The more arrived this morning and on opening up the package, this time the plants were moist but still growing at right angles.

I also received my Crimson Crush tomatoes from Suttons too.  What a difference! The plastic packaging was covered with a film to keep the roots moist and they were lovely plants.
That will teach me which company to use again.
tomato 1.jpg
tomato2.jpg

m1ckz

Re: Plug tomatoes plants!!!!!!!1
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 20:01 »
the old saying i guess  you get what you pay for   lol

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 20:12 »
Dearie me...that doesn't even look like a tomato plant!

Sparkyrog

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 20:52 »
They do seem to be earning themselves a bad name lately ! I know I shan't use them again .
I cook therefore I grow

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 20:59 »
Blimey they look terrible.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 21:33 »
Given good planting and care won't they straighten up and do well?

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 21:43 »

Surely the stress those little plugs have gone through they are more likely to struggle i would think, I wouldnt bother with them but I could be wrong

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 22:28 »
I have potted them on and I am using 1 as a sacrifice; leaving it outside to see if it is too cold to leave out the tomatoes that I have grown. which are straight. ::)

I am going to try to grow the others on. There was a black opal and a couple of others that I hadn't heard of.

There were 2 gardeners delight which I will use as the sacrifice plants.

I was just amazed at the rubbish quality of the plants.
I will certainly be using Suttons again. I rather fancy trying out some of the James Wong's range of plants and seeds next year and they come from Suttons.

LotuSeed

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 00:03 »

If they're planted deep and given warmth, light and water, they should perk up. Tomatoes root pretty easily and are really resilient little things.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

AnneB

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 07:33 »
I always grow from seed for 3 reasons, cost, choice and ensuring good quality plants. 

However I do have a relative who now finds the effort difficult and orders plants for ease, and having tried several, they recommend Simpsons Seeds for tomatoes.   Quality is good, price not too bad and you can mix several varieties in an order of six plants.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 07:43 »
I grow mine from seed for the same reasons Anne.

I have 5 varieties taking over the dining room like the day of the triffids and provide plants for several other people too.

I only ordered the plug plants on a whim to try out a few extra varieties without buying extra seed and taking up the whole house with the seeds. :lol: :lol:

And after MOS tempted me with the blight resistant Crimson Crush, I bought those too to try out their claims.

I posted the pics to warn others about the quality. I should have taken pics of the Suttons plants to show how good their plug plants were.

jaydig

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 09:28 »
Mrs Bee,    are you going to grow your Crimson Crush tomatoes in your garden, or on an allotment. I'd be very interested to know how you do with them, because every tomato I've tried to grow on the lotty, whether it be blight resistant or not, has been ruined by blight virtually overnight, and I'd love to grow some outdoor ones.
I would be great if both you and MOS could let us know how they perform. 

Mrs Bee

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 10:22 »
Mrs Bee,    are you going to grow your Crimson Crush tomatoes in your garden, or on an allotment. I'd be very interested to know how you do with them, because every tomato I've tried to grow on the lotty, whether it be blight resistant or not, has been ruined by blight virtually overnight, and I'd love to grow some outdoor ones.
I would be great if both you and MOS could let us know how they perform.

I have 3 plants and I am going to grow one in my garden, in which I had blight last year and the year before.

I am going to grow one on the allotment as we know there is blight on the plot. And the last one I am going to give to another allotmenteer to grow on his plot.

I grew some supposedly blight resistant tomatoes last year and they were the first to succumb.  So it will be interesting to see if the Crimson Crush are blight  free and taste good.

I will update later in the year.

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 15:37 »
They do seem to be earning themselves a bad name lately ! I know I shan't use them again .
Dreadful quality. Some firms do try and seduce you with so-called claims regarding a "new variety" - be very suspicious of any hype like that and .... you know who to buy from next time!  ;)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Headgardener22

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 16:10 »
I noticed that Sutton say that their grafted plants should not be grown in growbags as there isn't enough root space. I might try them next year but I've got all the tomatoes I need already.

xx
Where do you get your plug plants from?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 15:18
by growingvegrocks!
xx
Plug Plants

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 12:25
by Dirt Diver
xx
Plug plants

Started by thatruddyvicar on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 16:57
by angelavdavis
xx
Plug plants

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 23:33
by pol and mick

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 37 queries.