Further advice on adding new hen to two hens

• 12 Replies

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
Further advice on adding new hen to two hens
« on: April 13, 2015, 14:47 »
Hello readers,
I've been through the various threads about pecking and adding chickens/hens to others but!
I bought two hens last year and they are terrific. This year (April 8th) I bought another hen.
I put the new hen (Rosy) down in the garden and almost immediately Omelette starting pecking the neck of Rosy.
I put Rosy into the conservatory as I don't have an additional coop. But the existing two hens Omelette and Escalope (she used to try and escape a lot) became very noisy and kept their distance (free range) from Rosy.
I keep Rosy in the conservatory in the evening and put her in the run of the coop during the day after the other two have laid there eggs (usually about 10am). Put Rosy into conservatory about 7pm.
Now five days later Omelette and Escalope are less noisy and getting closer to Rosy during the day.
Am I doing the right thing as I read that new hens should be added to the coop at night. But if something happens I'll be asleep and am afraid to wake up to a dead or badly injured bird.
Should I try and let Rosy roam in the garden but keep my eye on her.
Sorry to ramble on but I just type as I would tell. (Waffle a bit).
Tom Parrot

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Further advice on adding new hen to two hens
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 20:33 »
I think you are doing the right thing by gradually introducing Rosy.  It is recommended to quarantine new hens for 2 weeks before letting them having access to your existing birds, but as they are already mixing, it is a bit late to worry about that.

After isolating new hens, I usually let the new and old birds mix by free ranging, then the new girls get spells in the run with the existing lot.  Finally I put them in the coop at night.

I would let this process take its time over a few weeks and not rush things.  It seems to be going OK so far, so it would be a shame to have a big set back now  :)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 21:50 »
We have introduced new birds in the past and we create a separate 'pen' in our enclosure so that both sets can at least see each other. I'm not totally convinced by the practice of introducing birds at night.  We have used Stockholme spray in the past if the pecking order gets a bit excessive and this seems to help. 

You mention that your birds lay at about 10am, that's interesting as I thought that hens had a egg cycle of about 25 hours but having said that I'm not sure what happens when the 'laying' time moves round to night time. 

Which breed are they?

There is also a book 'Backgarden Chickens and other Poultry'   written by John and Cara Harrison who you may have heard of!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 21:58 by Tenhens »
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 09:15 »
It is fine to introduce them at night as they go semi comatose! By morning they are used to the new smell. I do think it is wise to get up early to let them out though! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 18:42 »
Hello New Shoot,
Your last paragraph is why I wrote this thread. It is going well but!
After I wrote this thread in the late afternoon I did let Rosy out into the garden free ranging, although Omelette did go towards her quickly but, Rosy just took off leaving Omelette looking a bit bewildered.
So as it just one week I think I'll wait a few more days at least before putting Rosy in with the other two even tough they are getting on better as each day goes by.
Thank you.

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 18:54 »
Hello Tenhens,
Only Omelette was laying about 10am, as she occasionally fluctuate her laying. Whereas her sister! Escalope lays fairly regularly before six or there abouts.
They are all Warren hens. All different shades of brown (so easy to differentiate between them) and the all appear to have different personalities.
Yes I have heard or Cara and John Harrison, got a free book (The Essential Allotment Guide) today included with Grow Your Own magazine May edition.
I already have two chicken books Starting with Chickens by Katie Thear very good) and Keeping Chickens (was from a discount shop £3.99 but I think it is a bit American orientated).

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 18:59 »
Hello Sassy,
Thank you for the reply.
Yes I will let them out early as I usually let them out at dawn and this year I then go back to bed if possible for an hour or two. At the moment that is getting up at 5:30am. Staggering to the coop and releasing the catch on the run and the opening the door to the coop and staggering back to bed in my dressing gown. Next week could be earlier.

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 09:09 »
Hello readers,
Put Rosy in with Omelette and Escalope on Thursday night. OK in the morning but Omelette still going for Rosy at times. But they are getting there I think.
Friday night checked they were in the coop at 8:10, Omelette was as she usually is the first to bed, but Escalope ran to me for feeding and Rosy a few feet away.
Checked again about 8:15 but Escalope wasn't quite in the coop.
Checked 8:30 and it appeared that Escalope was chasing Rosy away but they were both crowing. Then I saw the fox chased her away with the garden fork, checked on Omlette but she was gone and feathers every where.
Caught Omelette put her in the coop run. Got Rosy and put her in the conservatory. Omlette was out, I couldn't have put the catch on properly but put her back in the run and did both catches properly.
Walked round and found Escalope eyes shut on her side, lots of feathers gone from her neck area but still breathing.
Phoned someone for some help. Went back to Omelette but she was gone. Presumably the fox came back and took her.
Now Omelette still chases off Rosy. So I have two chickens not getting on very well and need to get a third one.
Saturday morning checking the fence and trying to make it more secure.
Life is not easy.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 09:23 »
So sorry to hear about all this  :(  What a disaster after it was all going so well  :(

Get the fence sorted and keep your chin up.  The chickens will work it out, but the fact Escalope is now gone will mean the pecking order has to be re-sorted from scratch and that will take a few more days.  They are mercenary creatures and they will just see all this as a chance to improve their status in the flock.

It's you that are feeling it, not them, but I'm sure everyone on here will offer their support  :)

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 10:02 »
Hello New Shoot,
Thank you for the commiserations.
You notes have perked me up a bit.
Just looking on forum for fox deterrents.
But some appear to work for some people and not others.
Things that do appear to work (electric fencing) is not appropriate for my garden. Too many shrubs and hedges etc.
Will be more careful though and plow on.

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 12:26 »
I have used human hair to keep fox away (no chooks at present). I do not know if it works but it will rot down naturally. Get from hairdressers. Despite being in deep countryside and others get visits I have been ok. Maybe just luck? :)

So sorry about your chook but chalk it up to experience and carry on. :(

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 18:11 »
Hello Sassy,
Thank you for the comments.
I think I have heard about using hair and may try it. But, as I have alopecia I don't go to a hairdresser my self.
But I have put down some urine along the fence. The urine I used to put on the compost as a free activator.
Yes, I have put it down to experience as the first two hens I bought was last August, so I have less than a years experience.

Sassy

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 08:27 »
Hello Sassy,
Thank you for the comments.
I think I have heard about using hair and may try it. But, as I have alopecia I don't go to a hairdresser my self.
But I have put down some urine along the fence. The urine I used to put on the compost as a free activator.
Yes, I have put it down to experience as the first two hens I bought was last August, so I have less than a years experience.

Male urine supposed to be better! I'm sure hairdressers will give you hair, it's no good to them except for compost. :)

xx
Adding new hens

Started by rainbowspells on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2008, 12:12
by Jellyhead
xx
how long before adding new hens?

Started by organicbeanful on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 00:45
by Craigx
xx
Advice on adding new birds please

Started by Mrs Soup on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 02, 2009, 08:58
by kimT
xx
A bit of advice about adding to my flock!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 13:50
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 30 queries.