Antibiotic help

• 3 Replies

RubyR3d

Antibiotic help
« on: February 14, 2015, 22:03 »
   An elderly chicken keeper once gave me an antibiotic called Tylan? I have forgotten the dilution other than one teaspoon in a pint. I can't remember the further dilution. Can anyone help me please. I have a poorley hunched up elderly hen,didn't move or eat all day. I have given yakult but if she's still with us tomorrow I want to start with tylan. Thanks in advance.

Sassy

Re: Antibiotic help
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 09:09 »
Three things to consider, is the tylan still in date if it's the same one you were given previously and should you be giving an antibiotic and is it the right one?

How old is she and is she a pure breed or a hybrid? I wish you the very best with your hen. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:30 »
I agree with antibiotics you need to check the date, I had to chuck an almost full bottle of tylan because I only used it once many years ago and didn't need it again afterwards.
Being hunched up could mean several things - she is laying a soft shelled egg, she has had an egg break inside her etc Ideally she needs to see a vet who will decide if she needs antibiotics (if she does they may well give an anti b injection as that will act quicker) and will also tell you the period where you have to throw her eggs away. With some anti B's this can be for life.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 13:52 »
My vet prescribed Tylan when one of my chickens had suspected mycoplasma (respiratory infection). The recommended dosage was 0.5 mg per 1 litre of water for 2 -3 days. It's a tiny amount, more of a pinch than teaspoon. I used jewellery scales to weigh it out.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 13:55 by Pony Girl »

question
Which antibiotic?

Started by Kazoo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 27, 2013, 09:59
by joyfull
xx
Ugh! Ate antibiotic egg!

Started by linzechris on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 22:08
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Which antibiotic :)

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 06:00
by joyfull
xx
antibiotic

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 18:39
by Tony H

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 31 queries.