Advice needed please.

• 7 Replies

Lynne

Advice needed please.
« on: January 17, 2008, 15:16 »
I've looked at Wiggy's whatsits (veggie info thread) but it doesn't quite cover my question. Sorry if my question is a bit dumb too.

I planted my onion seeds on 1 Jan (in seed trays in my kitchen) and they are all sprouting. I've started to transplant them into pots and have realised that I seriously underestimated the space they would take up.  :oops:

1. I know I could buy some sets, but wondered whether I could just plant my remaining seeds in their final position at the allotment. If so, when is the right time to put them in? The varieties are red baron, keeper F1 and Bedfordshire Champion.

2. Also, now that the one's I have done have sprouted, could I put them in my outdoor mini greenhouse, or should they be protected from frost?

I'll be grateful for any advice.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Advice needed please.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 15:36 »
Before we go any further - I have to ask whether they are established enough to transplant only 17 days after sowing?  They certainly won't be hardy enough to go straight out into the plot.

I would be inclined to get them into the mini greenhouse, let them get established & stronger & pray that the frosts stay off. I would think that once they are a bit more hardy they will stand a little frost.

I germinated mine in a window in the house, let them get about 1/2" tall & now have put them in an (only just) frost free greenhouse.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Lynne

Advice needed please.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 15:54 »
Thanks DD. The green growth is about 3 inches long but the bulbs are miniscule at the moment. I will leave them where they are for now until bigger. Can you advise on planting the remaining seeds diectly into the plot? I though about March if that is a suitable way of doing it.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Advice needed please.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 17:00 »
Quote from: "Lynne"
Thanks DD. The green growth is about 3 inches long but the bulbs are miniscule at the moment. I will leave them where they are for now until bigger. Can you advise on planting the remaining seeds diectly into the plot? I though about March if that is a suitable way of doing it.

The problem with leaving them in the warmth is that they can get drawn & spindly, they probably are now if they are three inches tall, 17 days after sowing.

I sowed my about he same time, but moved them to a cooler green house once they germinated. The tallest is about 1" and they are still bent over like a hair grip.

I'll let someone else advise about outside sowing, as I've never done it, but Dr. H. would indicate that March is about the right time.

gobs

Advice needed please.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 17:18 »
I'd move them somewhere cold room or shed window or greenhouse, whilst it is not freezing cold(check forecast), next time sow them there. I also leave the window tilted on them, so they know what life is like. :lol:

If short of space, you can plant up a few to a pot, they will push each other out as growing.

March should be OK to sow outside in a well prepared seed bed or cold frame, but check packet for your varieties and keep an eye on the weather.  Most onion seed should be frost hardy though, but might rot!
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

splodger

Advice needed please.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 19:07 »
i grow bedfordshire champion - that is the seed that i use for overwintering - so they were sown late summer / autumn and they are doing very well

i managed to sow some more at the weekend - and they will stay in an unheated greenhouse until i am ready to transplant them

like dd and gobs have said - if your seedlings are 3" high - then it's too warm for them - but i would be careful about putting them outside straight away - i would be inclined to move them to your coldest room in the house for a week or so - so that they can get used to the temp - then into your greenhouse or mini

for sowing in the final position - you have just got to go with the weather - no point sowing them when it's freezing cold or sopping wet

you could cover some ground - with plastic - and / or cloches - and you might be able to get an early sowing on the go

i cover up at least a third of my plot - so that i can get the soil ready for sowing and planting that little bit early - but then being down south - the weather does tend to be a bit milder  :wink:

Trillium

Advice needed please.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 19:57 »
In my area we can sow a lot of things directly in the ground but for leeks and onions, we always start them indoors. Direct sown ones are too sporadic in germination and are easily washed away during heavy rain so it's often too late when you discover this. By starting them indoors, they can grow large enough to handle and transplant - and be counted. :wink:

Lynne

Advice needed please.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 09:52 »
Many thanks everyone. I think they are too warm where they are so i've moved them.

xx
advice needed

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 13:35
by peterjf
xx
advice needed please.....

Started by Piccolo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 22:13
by Piccolo
question
Help or Advice Needed, Please.

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 09:00
by RookieJim
xx
advice needed please

Started by maelyn on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 19:33
by maelyn

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 28 queries.