Sweet pepper advice

• 15 Replies

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
Sweet pepper advice
« on: January 06, 2015, 20:22 »
Happy New Year all  ::)

I know it's early, but I'd be grateful for some advice on growing sweet peppers from seed. I know they need to be started early to get the best crop. When is good to sow? And should I invest in an electric propagator? Last year I grew a few from seed on a sunny windowsill but it was a bit late I think. I'll be growing the peppers in my polytunnel come May time.

Thanks!

brianc

Re: Sweet pepper advice
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 22:57 »
Hi Middlesexbloke
                        I start my peppers off middle of february , but my g/house is heated and i grow on a heatmat.
                        I have temporary shelves suspended near the top glass so that my plants do not go leggy.
                        I do not have the heat too high in the g/house as too much heat and not enough light makes
                        the plants leggy.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 09:50 »
Lack of sufficient light is the main problem, early in the year, particularly if growing on a windowsill (light nothing like as good as a greenhouse/conservatory, and only from one side).

One way around that is to buy plants from the garden centre. They will already be 6 - 8 weeks old, so you can buy them 6 - 8 weeks later than you would have sown your own and be "evens" :)

Usually much less choice of varieties when buying plants, rather than growing from seed. Sometimes very little it in cost-wise though, particularly if seed is expensive - like F1 all-female-flowering Cucumbers and a pot full of Sweetpea seedlings.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 10:07 »
I have also found that variety does make a difference. Last year I grew some plants I bought in - California Wonder- alongside some I had raised from seed -- King of the North(Realseeds) -- and the second ones beat the first hands down.

They were planted out into enriched soil at the end of April, under a 1m high cloche which the cover of was old and worn so had lots of small holes in it. Protected the plants from the wind OK and they did not get over heated either. When ever I fed the tomatoes, these were fed too.

California Wonder did crop, but KoftN gave masses of fruit, some quite large, which ripened fully and tasted excellent.

I started the seeds off in a windowsill propagator in February and potted them on into 9cm pots which went out into the warm greenhouse in mid March.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 11:14 »
Thanks for your post, sunshine. You've inspired me to give that a go!
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 15:55 »
Thanks for your post, sunshine. You've inspired me to give that a go!

And they are also open pollinated, so if that is all you grow then the seeds come true too  :D

beesrus

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 16:31 »
In my mind, with my facilities, sowing early is essential for sweet peppers. I can't imagine being able to do that without an electric propagator, it's a godsend for peppers and toms. And let's be honest, for those who had success last year, the Summer was exceptional for pepper growing, so that is as good as it gets in this country. If the crop was only so so, the early part needs to be tweaked somehow.
Unlike an airing cupboard, a propagator has light levels and residual direct heat so important in those first 2 or 3 weeks after germination. I sow in mid Feb at the latest. After that we can all make do and mend for the intermediate weeks of March in our own particular way to supply the required warmth and light. I then personally get mine out into the cold greenhouse first week in April,  but they are double insulated under domes inside the greenhouse. In fact, almost tripple insulated, but even then, the light levels are so much better than at home. Really cold nights with minus temps see me taking them home overnight, but that is very rare.
Decent well thought out and mixed potting compost is a good idea for peppers, not just multi purpose.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 19:01 »
Beesrus' comment about compost reminded me -- some of my plants did 'sulk' for a couple of weeks until I re-potted them after feedback on here, to use Verve, when they perked up no end.  Those in the Verve from Day 1 grew much more strongly. Other good quality composts would do the job as well I am sure

Choose wisely, my friends  :nowink:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 23:29 »
Choose wisely, my friends  :nowink:

:D  :D  :D

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 08:06 »
Thank you kindly for your replies  :)

I'm going to get a propagator with some vouchers I received at Christmas. The pepper plants will be grown on at home until late April when I'll put the polytunnel back up and then they can go into that. Am trying a couple of early varieties from real seeds so fingers crossed they'll be good.

I've seen Verve compost mentioned here quite a few times, is that from B&Q? What would be a good potting mix for peppers (and toms, for that matter) as I'll be growing everything in pots in the polytunnel?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 08:51 »
Thank you kindly for your replies  :)

I'm going to get a propagator with some vouchers I received at Christmas. The pepper plants will be grown on at home until late April when I'll put the polytunnel back up and then they can go into that. Am trying a couple of early varieties from real seeds so fingers crossed they'll be good.

I've seen Verve compost mentioned here quite a few times, is that from B&Q? What would be a good potting mix for peppers (and toms, for that matter) as I'll be growing everything in pots in the polytunnel?

Yes verve is from B&Q. There are other mixes which are good too, but they mainly seem to be ones that re not available anywhere near here  :(

If you are growing in post you could use grow bag contents, one of the decent ones not el cheepoes as these are as bad as the poor compost bags.

You will need to feed the peppers as you would tomatoes, so "added food" is not necessarily a selling point. Plump bags usually is however  :lol:

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 09:17 »
I have also found that variety does make a difference. Last year I grew some plants I bought in - California Wonder- alongside some I had raised from seed -- King of the North(Realseeds) -- and the second ones beat the first hands down.

They were planted out into enriched soil at the end of April, under a 1m high cloche which the cover of was old and worn so had lots of small holes in it. Protected the plants from the wind OK and they did not get over heated either. When ever I fed the tomatoes, these were fed too.

California Wonder did crop, but KoftN gave masses of fruit, some quite large, which ripened fully and tasted excellent.

I started the seeds off in a windowsill propagator in February and potted them on into 9cm pots which went out into the warm greenhouse in mid March.
I think California Wonder must be a late variety, in our climate anyway, because the same happened to me. The yellow pepper Mohawk I raised at the same time produced earlier and profusely. I am attempting to overwinter the California Wonder to get a head start on the season.
Anne

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 09:53 »
Let us know how you get on with that Annen. I overwinter chilli plants sometimes so peppers could maybe manage too, especially if they have not cropped much

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 11:22 »
I think California Wonder must be a late variety, in our climate anyway, because the same happened to me. The yellow pepper Mohawk I raised at the same time produced earlier and profusely.

I have grown California Wonder for years, never had a particaulrly good crop, but I'm a lazy grower so they don't get much TLC so I didn;t have higher expectations ...

... grew some F1's last year (bought seed in the 50p-a-packet sale) and they all cropped earlier and heavier.

Figure I will give more attention to F1 Pepper varieties in future :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 13:17 »
Let us know how you get on with that Annen. I overwinter chilli plants sometimes so peppers could maybe manage too, especially if they have not cropped much
I believe MoS overwinters peppers quite regularly.

xx
sweet pepper advice please

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2015, 09:33
by Aidy
xx
sweet pepper seedlings

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 15:21
by pushrod
xx
Sweet pepper variety

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 02, 2018, 12:50
by Debz
xx
sweet pepper flowers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 00:41
by Trillium

Page created in 0.848 seconds with 37 queries.