Portable Chicken Run

• 10 Replies

Selkie

Portable Chicken Run
« on: January 16, 2008, 19:27 »
We're thinking about making one of these doodahs so we can let the hens have access to some new grass for a while. Ideally I'd like to have a whole second seperate run for them but our soil is so rocky we can't stand the thought of putting in more fence posts.

I'm thinking kind of similar to those triangular ones people move about for rabbits/hens etc -- only ours will be more boxy.

We're thinking about making one of the top sections solid so they can have shelter and I've come up with the idea for having 'handles' at the top sides so we can haul it about

I'd really welcome any other suggestions thanks

David.

Re: Portable Chicken Run
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 20:00 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
I'm thinking kind of similar to those triangular ones people move about for rabbits/hens etc -- only ours will be more boxy

Do you mean like this?

I'm trying to come up with a design for a rectangular, sectional, 'housing' section, with a separate, add on (possibly in all 4 directions) 'flat pack' run (using my 75% off Wilko weldmesh!) based on those runs that have a lift off top and hinged long sides so they can fold flat.

Selkie

Portable Chicken Run
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 20:04 »
Yes :D  but we're also thinking about a rectangular design; do you think they'd be easy to make?

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
Portable Chicken Run
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 20:14 »
We were talking about this yesterday! OH is going to make something in the spring. When he built our main chicken house he adapted a plan he sent off for but I can't find one for an 'ark' type run. He's pretty handy so I'm sure he'll be able to rustle something up. I want something just like you've described, so I can pop the hens into it in fine weather and give the main run a bit of a rest.  Ours will have to be reasonably heavy duty though as the land where we keep the hens is not fenced in and all the kids along the street will be letting them out if we're not careful (I've had veg pinched before  :( ).

David.

Portable Chicken Run
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 20:14 »
do you think they'd be easy to make?

I saw a 2nd hand 'housing section' at a recycling centre today going for £20 and thought I will make that just how I want it fot a few pounds using wood from pallets.

I've got to get at least one of these up & running by summer because I've promised my daughter I'd do it - not for our hens but for a bloomin rabbit! (her guinea pigs died last year).

Foxy

Portable Chicken Run
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 21:13 »
Hi we use these panels and connect them together with screw eyes onto the panels then rods to secure them. This makes the pens easy to size up or down and them easy to store. They are quite easy to make as well. My OH is very handy.We use these panels to segregate birds -in the pic below we used for growers so we we added panels to enlarge their pen then eventually let them out for "meet and greet" sessions! I think thats a top tip I borrowed from Aunt Sally and it worked!! :lol:  :lol:

Also in the photo the henhouse is a converted lads hed from B&Q!

Selkie

Portable Chicken Run
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 21:17 »
Peter says I can do all the construction myself because the last pair of jeans I bought are ''carpenter jeans'' (I don't know why)

:roll:

Foxy

Portable Chicken Run
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 22:44 »
Are you doing all the constructing Rosemary?? In your carpentary jeans?? :lol:  :lol:

Selkie

Portable Chicken Run
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 22:47 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
Are you doing all the constructing Rosemary?? In your carpentary jeans?? :lol:  :lol:

:oops: That's the idea...I wish I'd never told Peter that they were called carpenter jeans :roll:

I did make a birdbox last year - and all we had was a nest of wasps :roll:

Selkie

Portable Chicken Run
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 22:27 »

:( :oops: Peter said my carpenter jeans give me a builder's bum :oops:  :(

Foxy

Portable Chicken Run
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 14:55 »

:( :oops: Peter said my carpenter jeans give me a builder's bum :oops:  :(

Was going to make a funny crack.....but sounds like you already have!!!!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
Eglus - how portable are they?

Started by jjmack on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 13:58
by urban-chickens
xx
Portable Generator/Solar Panel

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2016, 10:00
by oakridge
xx
My "portable" run

Started by RichardH on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 19:17
by RichardH
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 28 queries.