which veg to plant in containers?

• 12 Replies

veggienut

« on: January 16, 2008, 14:25 »
Hi.

Sorry been a way for a while. Once more need some advice?

Have another class at school interested in growing veg. However there is no beds left. They wanted me to grow veg under a tree!!
 anyhow: thought I would try and use some containers and see if I could put some wheels on them. How deep do containers have to be to grow veg? Also what veg is best that will crop before the summer holidays. would ideally like to take the containers home once the summer holidays arrive so i can water if need be. I thought of perhaps a herb garden, maybe plant some tomatoes, lettuces> Any ideas? :(
veggienut

cc85

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 14:28 »
Take a look at this http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=11753

Im currently doing a design project on vegetable growing. As a teacher do you think there is a need for such a product. I imagine alot of inner city schools would like to try vegetable growing but do not have the space or ground to do it.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Craig

veggienut

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 14:45 »
Absolutely!!

I work with reception children. They are so incredibly excited about their garden. So much learning involved!!Last year we grew beans, radishes, beetroots, lettuces etc. most of the children believe you just have to go to the supermarket to get it all. They love the Composter: I have told them it works magic: which ofcourse it does!!

gobs

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 14:46 »
You can put some early new potatoes in compost bags and if you start them in the classroom a lot of stuff will be harvestable before summer holidays: radish, lettuce, all sorts of salads, spinach, sorrel, carrots, baby beets, chard, broad bean, early summer cabbage.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

cc85

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 14:50 »
Veggienut , what do you think such a product requires?

Maybe bright colours , wheels so it can move about ? Somewhere for the children to write their name on? From experience do you think there is a definite need?

Any thoughts would be great. I am struggling a little with getting my major project going.

David.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 15:25 »
Quote from: "gobs"
You can put some early new potatoes in compost bags and if you start them in the classroom a lot of stuff will be harvestable before summer holidays

Beat me to it! My wife did exactly that with the kids at our village school and it was a great success.

There's also a schools (year of the) potato competition organized by the British Potato Council that might create some additional interest.

Link to competion (register by 8th Feb) at the British Potato Council's website especially for teachers and children. Find out how to grow potatoes, where potatoes come from and how to cook them:
http://www.potatoesforschools.org.uk

charley1980

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 15:47 »
I had great success growing courgettes in containers last year, also chillis and peppers did well in containers. I used the large plastic pots (about a foot and 1/2 diameter and about a foot and 1/2 high) Also had superb results using organic grow bags for tomatoes, chillis, courgettes, pumpkins, lettuces and runner beans (for runners stand the bags on their sides to allow more root depth. you can also use growbags to grow potatoes.

also, what about a sunflower growing competition-the seed heads can be used later for bird feeders?!

the plastic pots can be painted with acrylic paints for the children to individualise.

veggienut

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 19:47 »
Hi. Thanks for the advice. Have looked at http://www.potatoesforschools.org.uk/ what a great idea!!Have cleaned up some buckets and will get some potato seeds tomorrow.Crazy what we get excited about isn't it??
One more thing(I promise) does anyone know where I can get hold of some strawberry plants? :roll:

gobs

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 19:57 »
Ask for some runners on a lottie sight? Or from gardening parents/teachers?

splodger

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 20:11 »
Quote from: "veggienut"
Hi. Thanks for the advice. Have looked at http://www.potatoesforschools.org.uk/ what a great idea!!Have cleaned up some buckets and will get some potato seeds tomorrow.Crazy what we get excited about isn't it??
One more thing(I promise) does anyone know where I can get hold of some strawberry plants? :roll:

how many strawberry plants were you after

because it's a good cause - i would be prepared to send you a few small ones (last years runners) if you would like some  :wink:

veggienut

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 20:52 »
Hi.
That is so kind.
Have two reception classes, 30 pupils in each.
Not very familiar with Strawberry plants so I don't have a clue how many I would need. Sorry folks I feel more questions coming on!! :lol:

paintedlady

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 09:05 »
On my patio at home I have rhubarb in big pots.  They've now outgrown the pots (although I could split them and still keep a couple) and I've decided to move them down to the new allotment plot this year.  The Early Red (Red King?) variety looked really spectacular with its deep red stems and huge leaves - only one major problem, rhubarb are thirsty plants so they do need lots of water on hot summers days.  BUT, they also recover very well too if they have wilted!
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

pepper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 10:22 »
One year  my class grew potatoes in black bin liner which was very successful and tomatoes and strawberries in pots. I had to water them during the holidays but it was worth the effort as the children were so excited about the whole thing.
monica

question
When did you plant early Potatoes in containers (e.g. in Cold Greenhouse)?

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:02
by mumofstig
xx
PSB in containers

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 22:11
by JoshP
xx
Containers

Started by ANGEL_S on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 15:33
by kezlou
xx
Veg in containers

Started by digga666 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 12:03
by digga666

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 29 queries.