sage and thyme pruning?

• 6 Replies

3759allen

sage and thyme pruning?
« on: December 12, 2014, 16:36 »
i had a lovely crop of these 2 herbs this year, but now not sure what to do with them.

are they hardy so will survive over winter?

if they are is it best to prune them back to fresh lush growth in spring rather than woody branches?

i also have some chive that is dying off, will this grow back next year or should i start again in spring?

thanks. all

crh75

Re: sage and thyme pruning?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 16:45 »
Chives will grow back.
Thyme, like lavender will not grow from old wood so any pruning should be light.  Personally I leave it and take cuttings every few years to replace it.

I'm not so sure about sage, again I don't prune mine but it does look a straggly mess, so does need sorting out.  They are easy to propagate from cuttings.
I think

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 17:50 »
Chives are herbaceous so the foliage dies back in winter (outdoors, anyway.) Benefit from being thinned out every few years.

Sage can get a bit messy in winter but if trimming doesn't improve matters it is very easy to strike from cuttings in spring, as crh75 has  already suggested.

I keep my thyme going by layering a few of the straggly shoots when it starts getting too woody (for me that means stuffing them into the soil nearly up to the green shoots and hoping it roots - it always does!)

UFN I'm having to use my Hudl 2 for internet access at the moment so forgive spelling mistakes and general lack of clarity (never had a better excuse!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

beesrus

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 19:03 »
I've always left thyme, apart from really straggly old bits.
Sage-wise ( :D ), most years I just give it a real hair cut. It soon shoots up next year. In fact I think I get better growth that way.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 19:05 by beesrus »

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 20:22 »
thanks for the replies.

does it matter when i prune the sage? and should i cut it right back (leaving an inch or so) to encourage new growth?

think i'll leave the thyme for this year and see if it needs tidying up at the end of the season.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 20:38 »
Sage doesn't get as woody as thyme does but still won't love you if you really chop it down too hard - pick what you can in winter and then trim or start new cuttings next year.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 21:37 »
I tend to prune my sage in spring so it has all year to recover. You can always just prune half one year & the other half the next as an insurance policy
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Sorry looking Thyme

Started by EzLou on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 16:49
by mashauk
xx
Thyme

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 19, 2013, 22:49
by agapanthus
xx
Thyme from seed

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 09:23
by compostqueen
clip
Creeping Thyme

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 14, 2019, 11:49
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 29 queries.