What tiller to buy - advice sought

• 13 Replies

Swing Swang

What tiller to buy - advice sought
« on: December 08, 2014, 17:34 »
I'm seriously thinking about getting a tiller/cultivator to make my life faster (rather than easier).

It needs to be beefy enough to do half/quarter allotment sized 'monoculture' as I'l be 'micro-cropping' rather than needing it for lots of different rows of different veg, successionally (happy not to use power for this at the moment).

It also needs to be small enough to fit in the back of a Citroen Berlingo Multispace and be light enough to lift in and out without prolapsing a disc.

Storage is also an issue and it would be nice if it took up little space, or could be hung on a garage wall/from the rafters when not in use.

It would be expected to work on a heavy-loam soil most of the time.

Think that's about it, unless anyone is on first name terms with Santa...

My guess is that a Mantis will be too lightweight (but would like to hear views), and that a Merry Tiller will be too beefy (but I've never used one or tired to lift one).

Price is not a primary concern, but much over £350 and I'm going to feel glum.

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Re: What tiller to buy - advice sought
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 18:00 »
I have a petrol Mantis - but the smaller one. It's the easiest garden petrol machine bar none. With a lifetime guarantee on the tines, I don't see how it can be bettered. Plus the attachments do extend its usefulness - but only if you do those sorts of jobs often enough.

That said, it doesn't get used as much as I would hope. But when it does, it's jolly useful. We split this machine between four families so far. Is that an option for you?
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

ghost61

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 18:29 »
I use a mantis tiller on my allotment on heavy clay.  I can carry it easily, it folds up nicely and I even transport it in the bike trailer.  I have used it over the whole plot and it does the job very well.  Can't recommend it enough.

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 20:19 »
Thanks for your comments. Sharing not really an option as I'd be by far the main user, and there is is distinct possibility that we'll be moving in the next couple of years or so. Yes I would use the attachments so that would be good.

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 20:32 »
Although I have some attachments, plough, and edger, I have only used those once and I didn't like the plough at all.  Perhaps I wasn't using it right!  I love my mantis.  It starts first time (it's three years old now) every time, even after the winter break and it's quiet, too.

caroline800

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 00:09 »
Another vote for Mantis  :)

I was v v lucky to have one given and for such a lightweight machine it is surprisingly good working, tackling virtually everything I throw at it ::)

I find tines don;t tend to chop so can be good to clear roots etc cos they tangle round instead of breaking, although it can be a bit tedious keep having to clear the tines.

Plus if you are looking to buy new, they do (or did?) a 12 month money back guarantee so if you don;t get on with it you can send it back!

I too have little time but large plot, Mantis means i can keep on top of it  :D

Kevin67

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 00:33 »
To add to the above:

I have tilled ground that hasn't been dug in over 50 years and it was easy, just spade dig a starting hole first to help provide some bite for the tines.

The tines do get clogged. To clear them I run the tiller over some hard standing and the earth falls out although the long grass hangs around a bit longer.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 05:37 »
The Mantis we have is also the smaller one, as we cultivate 8' x 4' beds, and use it from paths in between.

There's quite a lot of pulling involved, so watch the old back, but the machine is effortless, and forms a very fine tilth every time.

Don't reckon much on the edging blade though, as all it does is cut through the grass, and you have to do the rest by hand, or try and steer the Mantis along it, which isn't easy if you're wanting to keep off the tilled ground.

The path brush is great, and very robust too, We have a lot of old clay brick paths, and it chugs away easily, and removs nearly all the weeds etc which get in the gaps.

I'd also recommend the wheel set, as you can swing the machine in all directions during transit, and it's a doddle to drive!

(I'd actually like to try and get a couple of wheels, which can 'drive', but no doubt there are several sorts of elfunsaftee regulations which say I can't..)!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 07:54 »
I too have a 4-stoke Mantis.  We are mostly no-dig for veg, but used it prior to that to fluff up the raised beds in Spring. I use it for lots of light-ish work - I say "light" because we are on heavy clay, and it would not be my tool-of-choice on virgin ground, but on any ground that has been worked etc. it is effortless.

We used to hire a beefy Cultivator in the Spring and "do the whole lot", trouble was it always seemed to rain when we arranged the hire!! which is what prompted me to buy the Mantis - since then I have been able to use it whenever the weather and ground are Just Right :)

Easy to carry, will fold up to fit in a boot (sorry, don't know about your vehicle specifically).

Mine came from the Mantis Outlet Shop in eBay, which saved me a few quid. Looked like it had been used a couple of times - probably someone bought one and returned it. I bought the 4-stroke as I had read that the 2-stroke (like many such engines) was hard to start / re-start, but I've had mine half a dozen years so that issue may be a thing of the past.

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 13:55 »
Mantis for me, too. I have the small four stroke petrol machine. It's perfect for me as it's not too heavy to use, goes easily into the car, starts every time, and is small enough to get inbetween the rows when the crops are in.  I have a double plot of 1/8th acre,  the soil is quite heavy, and it's perfectly adequate for this. In fact, now I'm getting older I don't think I could manage without it, it gets the job done in a tenth of the time it would take to dig by hand. I agree about the attachments, though - they're not worth buying, especially the plough - unless they work better on lighter soil.

Kevin67

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 14:08 »
I had an email (some time ago) from Mantis and their ebay shop is indeed for the refurbished returns. They acknowledge their machines are so good, people use them to break up 'virgin' soil and then return them. Then they get cleaned up, serviced and sold through ebay but with a 3 month guarantee.

I couldn't pull a fast one like the above, not least when 'saving' about £50 means I also get a full years' guarantee.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 14:48 »
I had an email (some time ago) from Mantis and their ebay shop is indeed for the refurbished returns. They acknowledge their machines are so good, people use them to break up 'virgin' soil and then return them. Then they get cleaned up, serviced and sold through ebay but with a 3 month guarantee.

I couldn't pull a fast one like the above, not least when 'saving' about £50 means I also get a full years' guarantee.

Interesting point you make, Kevin.

There are plenty of stories and posts here, which support the Mantis philosophy and their business plan! I always coveted a Mantis, and I've been hugely impressed with mine, but yes, there is a cost involved as well!

Kevin67

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 14:55 »
It's a shame you're so far away; I'd lend you mine.

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 15:10 »
It's a shame you're so far away; I'd lend you mine.

That's kind of you, mine is safely stashed away in the shed, awaiting a service actually...

xx
Any help advice on a Monro Tiller S3 Much Appriciated!

Started by Countryboy on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 11:20
by Countryboy
xx
Newbie looking advice- Merry Tiller Major

Started by junior19 on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 11:10
by junior19
xx
merry tiller spares advice please - belt and filter

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 14:09
by pepsi100
xx
Mantis tiller / Stihl multi-tool tiller/cultivator

Started by Turkey Jane on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 12:10
by Percy

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 30 queries.