Newbie looking advice- Merry Tiller Major

• 12 Replies

junior19

Newbie looking advice- Merry Tiller Major
« on: March 05, 2013, 21:40 »
Looking for some advice on my merry tiller major. It was going great rotavating out back when it started losing power. It wouldnt take throttle no power and now it only starts when I put petrol down spark plug hole and then only for a second. Its getting good spark so I dont think spark is the problem. I'm just wondering if dirt in the carb could be the problem. Just needing someone to talk me thru it show me the ropes sort of thing.
  Thnks for any advice

Gwiz

Re: Newbie looking advice- Merry Tiller Major
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 05:38 »
If you could provide a little more detail regarding the engine on your machine?
Is it a Briggs and Stratton?
Is the carb fitted to the top of the fuel tank or is the fuel tank at the front of the engine with a pipe that then goes to the carb at the rear?
Has the engine been replaced by a Honda?

junior19

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 11:11 »
Yeah sorry,
            It is indeed a briggs and stratton. It has the fuel tank at the front with a pipe leading around the back to the carb.
     The only numbers I can find on the whole machine are PAT No 714394 and SERIAL No M71862.
     It was going great guns out the back of house for about 15 minutes then started losing power and wouldnt take throttle. Now it will only start if I pour a little fuel down spark plug hole and then its only for a second before conking out.

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 13:05 »
Righto,
it could be that the fuel line is blocked. Turn off the fuel at the tap which ought to be at the base of the tank (if fitted) Take the pipe off of the carb and see if petrol comes though the pipe when you turn the tap back on. If not, then undo the tank cap and check again.

junior19

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 18:18 »
I have tried that and the petrol is coming thru the pipe no problem. I think its a carb problem maybe dirt.

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 18:29 »
there's no getting away from it then, the carbs going to have to come off.
Make a note of exactly where the linkages go. Take some close up photo's with your phone, or right it down (or both!)
Before taking out any mixture screws, screw them in, counting the amount of turns, until you feel gentle resistance and then STOP before damaging the ends of the needles. Remove the carb bowl, and make sure that you don't loose the gasket that seals it.
It's then going to be down to blowing gently through the various holes and orifices to clean out any rubbish before reassembling it.
Just a note, don't blow with a strong jet of air down the petrol entry pipe as you may dislodge/ loose the o ring that is on the inside. The float needle seats up into this to stop the petrol flow when the bowl is full.
It would be great if you could post some pictures of the engine so that I, or someone else could give you more specific instructions for you engine.

grendel

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 19:46 »
I use a car carb cleaning spray to blow through the jets and clean any dirt out of mine. If it blocks up like this a lot it may be worth checking the fuel tank for rust - if its got a layer of dirt / rust in there clean it out, you can get stuff to seal the inside of a rusty fuel tank. also after each use turn off the fuel first then when the engine starts to race kill the ignition, this will empty the carburettor bowl, if fuel is left in it can dry out and form a gritty dust that guarantees you will get blockages later on.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

junior19

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 20:16 »
Had a quick look inside the fuel tank and it all looks pretty clean. I was thinking that maybe any dirt might have came from the fuel pipe as thats metal. Whats your thoughts on this.
   How do I put pictures up on here? Not great with the pc so as easy as possible please.

Gwiz

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 05:39 »
As I'm not to good at computers myself, the best thing I can do is direct you to this page of our site.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19476.0
 :)

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 09:42 »
I’m afraid that the flo-jet carburettor is a pig to strip and clean as, in theory, the main jet has to come out before you can split the float chamber. On a new carb this wasn’t a problem but the jet is in a drilling with the needle valve, under the float chamber and collects any moisture in the fuel, which then corrodes the threads below the jet. First try screwing the needle in, counting the number of turns, if it does screw in you are lucky, then unscrew the needle and the hexagonal gland housing round it together. The main jet is a long way up the hole and should be able to be unscrewed. You must use a screwdriver that is a good fit and if it won’t unscrew you are in trouble. If you can get it out a few turns, this is enough to enable you to split the float chamber at an angle but don’t force the chamber apart or you will bend the jet. Screw the idler needle at the top of the carb in, again counting the number of turns, then remove it. Blow all holes jets etc, out and, whilst you are blowing things out, remove the petrol tap from the tank and clean the filter, removing the pipe that you mentioned and blowing this out too. Re-assemble, screwing the needles in and back out the same numbers of turns as they were originally, a bad thread in the main jet hole will ruin this method so trial and error, warm up the engine then, on half throttle, screw the main needle in until the revs drop and out until the revs drop then set the needle half way between, is the way to go. The gland housing needs to be tight enough to prevent leaks but not so tight as to prevent the needle from being turned. The flo-jet is fairly forgiving of dirt so, if the tank isn’t rusty, and everything is now clean you shouldn’t have problems for a while.
R Tallentire

junior19

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 11:21 »
R Tallentire
          thank you for the talk thru much appreciated, will give it a try as soon as I can.

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 05:02 »
Hi..
Loads of info on the Merry tiller.... HERE ....you'll have to do a good search through it all...best of luck. ;)
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

junior19

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 11:10 »
Thanks Capt Zero just going to have a look the now.

xx
Merry tiller Major

Started by Richard Davis on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2007, 19:30
by Gwiz
xx
Merry Tiller Major

Started by Paul Anderson on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post June 26, 2020, 17:00
by Paul Anderson
xx
Merry Tiller 4hp Major

Started by johnp on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2007, 22:02
by bikerjohn
xx
Merry tiller Major

Started by Richard Davis on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2006, 19:50
by p1

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 37 queries.