Ok this may sound a daft question - growing wheat

• 16 Replies

composthappens

Ok this may sound a daft question - growing wheat
« on: December 05, 2014, 12:20 »
I have half my allotment not used and I would like to try and grow wheat to make bread, has anyone ever done this? :wacko:

BabbyAnn

Re: Ok this may sound a daft question - growing wheat
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 14:37 »
Not done it but I do remember seeing a programme once about growing wheat (might have been a heritage type) - by the time they had harvested it and milled it, there was only enough flour to bake a loaf or two.

beesrus

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 15:15 »
Not daft at all CH. I too have long wanted to grow some sort of grain, and have planned it for next year at last. Initially, I was interested in wheat as a grain and also as wheatgrass, the young shoots, and the latest superfood juiced drink etc. Wheat or barley were the obvious first port of call, and then I went off on a wil goose chase looking at hops and all manner of interesting stuff. :D

But the more I looked into it and what my needs actually were, I plumped for buckwheat next year, having read several accounts from United States small farmers and homesteaders, and my having used it as a humble green manure for years. Also the grain needs to have several uses as I have no idea how much "flour" can be processed.
Not a wheat of course, and not strictly a "grain" possibly, but it serves the same purpose in food.
It's one draw back is it's lack of gluten as a bread flour, but that can be overcome, and  I have always only used 20% maximum buckwheat flour in bread recipes in any case. 
But look at it's advantages. It's main plus for me is I already use it as a handy rice/couscous type dish, which wheat isn't used for. It can be used as a cereal, toasted sprinkle, sprouted, pastry and bread baking, and an American favourite pancake flour. Almost any use you can think of. It matures to seed really quickly in 3 months. It needs no fertiliser, in fact will grow on virtually any soil. Virtually no pests whatsoever, and attracts beneficials to die for including honey bees big time. It can be processed into it's de-hulled seeds really easily apparently with a broom and sheet. It's properties as a green manure include for weed suppressing and digging in organic matter/soil conditioning. And apparently businesses are even using it's empty hulls to make trendy neck saving pillows. All that is too much to resist. :D

Most of those homesteaders reckon a useful annual crop can be gained from 20 sq meters... that's fine for me. So, the plan is to sow 40 sq meters after the last frost, dig in half of that as a green manure before it sets seeds, and leave the other half to mature and harvest.  All the inevitable seeds left in the soil after harvest will be left to grow again as a second quick green manure crop to dig in come the end of October. All waste vegetation from harvesting will be composted. Perfect.
I reckon on using 500gms of seeds, which ain't that cheap as a horticultural product, almost £8 :ohmy: . But I already buy 500gm bags of raw buckwheat seeds/groats as a food from a local health food shop for £1.80... so I have a bag put by.

Just some thoughts for you to consider. Good luck with what ever grain you grow.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 17:04 »
I looked at it at while back, as I have space here.  We are not happy with the processing of wheat into flour (similar to not being happy with the provenance of most fruit & veg to, which is why we grow our own).

Upshot was that I wouldn't get very much from a reasonable sized patch.  Surprised me as I assumed that the ratio of farmland growing Wheat to Flour represented a decent yield.

I'm still interested to try ... would like to grow Rice too (worried about Arsenic levels), but climate here not really conducive to that.

beesrus

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 17:51 »
Upshot was that I wouldn't get very much from a reasonable sized patch. 
Yes, that has been my concern. So I have concluded nothing is lost if the part of my plot that was designated as fallow/green manured next year, somewhat doubles up as a grain experiment. I'll never get round to it else. Can't wait for the results.
From what I have read, buckwheat is the multi use protein rich grain of choice for small garden growing everywhere. Wheat seems to be more of a collective community effort on a larger scale to get the returns needed, with it also needing significant nitrogen supplements. Fascinating subject. Allotments are considered far more productive vegetable wise per acre than farmed land, but maybe not with grains.
I have noticed in the local Range shop, that they are now selling wheatgrass seeds aimed at us gardeners... but of course, the idea is to grow for the shoots only, as a sort of "vegetable", rather than a baking cooking seed/milled flour.
The trouble is I love my bread.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 18:00 by beesrus »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 18:23 »
It is possible to grow your own wheat but it is not just as easy as you may think, composthappens.

You have to make sure to harvest it at the right moment and dry the grain to the correct moisture for good storage without it going mouldy. You then have to mill it down to the best flour size for what you want to use it for.  If it's for bread it needs a high nitrogen level. 

But if it's what you want to do, composthappens, then go for it.  Here's a few links you might find interesting:

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/grains-growing-guide

http://www.breadexperience.com/home-milling.html

Or you could just buy some great flour:

http://www.shipton-mill.com/

composthappens

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 08:40 »
I am so glad it wasn't a stupid question. to be honest with you all, I have been neglecting my plot for the past few months including the forum, my mum died of liver cancer 3 weeks ago and it has been a terrible time, she loved her garden and we used to share tips, unfortunately my step father and half sister have no interest in keeping the garden going, so I want to grow my mums precious sweet peas at my house (I inherited her seed tin too).

I know mum would want me to continue with my growing interests so the wheat was an idea, perhaps all I need is a bit of inspiration, she would like the idea of wheat if it was possible.    :(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 09:25 »
Sorry to hear about your mum. It's lovely to remember her through gardening.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

LotuSeed

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 11:09 »
I am so glad it wasn't a stupid question. to be honest with you all, I have been neglecting my plot for the past few months including the forum, my mum died of liver cancer 3 weeks ago and it has been a terrible time, she loved her garden and we used to share tips, unfortunately my step father and half sister have no interest in keeping the garden going, so I want to grow my mums precious sweet peas at my house (I inherited her seed tin too).

I know mum would want me to continue with my growing interests so the wheat was an idea, perhaps all I need is a bit of inspiration, she would like the idea of wheat if it was possible.    :(

Sorry to hear about your loss  :ohmy:

Growing enough wheat to get a useable yield requires loads of space, time and energy. Traditionally it's a task done on a large scale by a network of people from growing to processing, each link in the chain having specialized equipment and knowledge of their craft. Not really a one person job.

That said, there's nothing wrong with experimenting and I can appreciate the emotional connection the two of you will have shared gardening. I spent lots of time in the garden with my Grandmother and digging, planting and harvesting has kept that connection poignant even years after she passed.
You could always leave a section of the plot dedicated to growing things in her memory: her favorite veg, her favorite flower or things you think she'd find interesting. I think there's something to be said for just being in the garden and appreciating the space , regardless of efficiency and productivity. It's a great way to stay connected to her memory and to remind yourself of the good times you shared with her. 🌷🌾🌻
<<hugs>>
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 21:13 »
So sorry to hear about your Mum. I always feel close to my late Dad when I'm on the allotment, he loved growing his veg, it's nice to have that connection still. Have a go with the wheat nothing ventured nothing gained.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

composthappens

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 08:54 »
thank you everyone for your understanding. My mum came on my allotment once with me, although she was a fair weather gardener, she loved theway I grew things, always admired my efforts. My stepfather said she killed everything in the garden,but she did try really hard and kept it really tidy ( I think things died because the soil in her garden was so poor).I love her and miss her everyday, still cannot believe she has gone, but yes! she would want me to carry on growing, and towards the end she wouldn't eat any other parsnips but the ones I grew, or any veg I grew.

There is something very spiritual about gardening, and I think clearer when I dig, I always take my radio up the allotment, I listen to radio 2 that has all the 60's songs on it and think of both my mum and my dad and what they would have been doing at the time of the song.  I have tried to upload a photo of her on my allotment but for some reason it wont let me :(

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 08:59 »
Have you started a diary on here of your plot? You could write it as if you were writing to her ;)

Nobbie

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 10:00 »
Upshot was that I wouldn't get very much from a reasonable sized patch.  Surprised me as I assumed that the ratio of farmland growing Wheat to Flour represented a decent yield.

I think the reason it has become a commercially grown staple of the western diet is because it is easy to grow on a large scale year after year with little manual input and can be stored easily for a long time. Potatoes give a much bigger yield of carbohydrate per acre, but gets blight and won't store beyond a year like most other vegetables

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 13:26 »
I think it would be a fun and interesting experiment, even if you only get one loaf of bread out of it. And the resulting straw is always very useful on an allotment, as mulch, under your strawberries etc. Imagine eating that home-made bread with home-made jam, that would be an achievement!
Rachael

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 13:58 »
I've found these:

Part 1  uTGilR95T44
Part 2  ntWjA5BEsiE

xx
growing wheat on an allotment

Started by p00rstudent on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 09:34
by p00rstudent
xx
Growing water cress - does this sound like "A Good Plan?"

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 24, 2012, 20:39
by tosca100
wink
Daft question of the day...

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 10:22
by Goldfinger
xx
Daft Question 102

Started by nitiram on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2006, 23:51
by John

Page created in 0.561 seconds with 37 queries.