tomatos for next year

• 48 Replies

upthetump

• Experienced Member
Re: tomatos for next year
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 13:51 »
yeah im thinking north east facing allotment in the Rhondda v Washington DC or Spain  :(. i stay in Spain quite regular but not long enough to consider growing anything

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 14:21 »
I think this is reasonably close to what I will be growing next year. I do try to avoid F1s where I can so I can save seed, and I try not to grow too many bigguns cos I'm not good at that yet.

Black Sea Man
Black Cherry
Sweet Million F1
100s & 1000s
Sungold F1
Sandpoint
Amish plum
red pear
yellow cocktail pear
Blush Betimes Macbeth
Snowdrop

plus a couple more from the seed circle when I've had time to read up on the varieties a bit more
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 14:23 by surbie100 »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 14:30 »
One can't really compare tomato growing in Washington DC (or Spain) with the UK. The UK has a maritime climate with much lower average temperatures in the summer (although warmer and wetter winters).

That's true, but their location is visible and It's still worthwhile for them to list their favourites as we do have members with similar climates  ;)

cadalot

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 14:50 »
I think this is reasonably close to what I will be growing next year. I do try to avoid F1s where I can so I can save seed, and I try not to grow too many bigguns cos I'm not good at that yet.

Black Sea Man
Black Cherry
Sweet Million F1
100s & 1000s
Sungold F1
Sandpoint
Amish plum
red pear
yellow cocktail pear
Blush Betimes Macbeth
Snowdrop

plus a couple more from the seed circle when I've had time to read up on the varieties a bit more

So what about any excess I have next year  :nowink:

8doubles

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 15:41 »
I grew Amish paste this year and they were quite prolific. They also seemed more resistant to blight than two of the other varieties I grew.

im still tempted by the Amish Paste, did you grow inside or outside?

Always in the greenhouse , usuall in a bucket in a trough for watering (ring culture of a kind).
I have yet to get the ghouse up and running here in Pembs but i am sure that if we get another summer like last they will do as well as they did in Hants !

LotuSeed

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 16:13 »
One can't really compare tomato growing in Washington DC (or Spain) with the UK. The UK has a maritime climate with much lower average temperatures in the summer (although warmer and wetter winters).

Which is why I referenced my area and climate differences.  :tongue2:
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Headgardener22

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 16:19 »

I only commented because I'm envious of people who can grow enormous plants with masses of beefsteak fruit outdoors. I'd love to be able to do that but I think I have to move from the East Midlands to be able to do that.   :blush:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 16:43 »
So what about any excess I have next year  :nowink:

Am sure there will be many takers on your site...or I'll give in and wander over!  :D

AnneB

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 21:19 »
wow i never heard of half those varieties, the Chadwick Cherry is one i'm looking at. what was that like for taste and to grow?

I grew Chadwick Cherry this year.  Outside it wasn't very productive, but in the polytunnel it was a different story, lots of fruit and fairly tasty, so I will grow again next year.   

Of the others I am growing, Burpee's Jubilee was an orange beefsteak that did well under cover, very tasty.  Latah, early and productive.  Lima Korai I got from Heritage Seed Library, very very prolific and tasty.  Almost a plum tomato but not quite.    Others are new varieties.   

BabbyAnn

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2014, 11:55 »

I only commented because I'm envious of people who can grow enormous plants with masses of beefsteak fruit outdoors. I'd love to be able to do that but I think I have to move from the East Midlands to be able to do that.   :blush:

In 2013 I bought a polytunnel with intentions of growing lots of tomato varieties but at the very last minute, decided to put the hot chillies in there instead  :wub:  That meant planting the tomatoes on the plot - admittedly summer of 2013 was good for tomatoes, but for the first time ever I had some really decent beefsteak tomatoes.  I always found they never did so well in the greenhouse.

On the other hand, I'd agree that some tomatoes should be grown under cover just in case - it doesn't seem to take much for outdoor plants to come down with blight  :( 

cadalot

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2014, 12:01 »
I have a lean-to built on the side of the shed to keep the rain off tomatoes, and a growhouse and a greenhouse for the allotment toms. The home Toms will go in the bottom of the spacesaver Greenhouse and along the fence in flower buckets out in the open. I'm hoping if I can get them off to an early start they will give an early harvest before the blight hits them like I managed this year. 

LotuSeed

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2014, 14:38 »

TBH I don't bother growing any large beefsteak types anyway; Costoluto Genovese and Dad's Sunset are the "largest" I grow. And since this year three stags found and frequented my garden, next year I'll have to put netting on EVERYTHING, as they'll no doubt be back if they make it through the winter.

I think it's a "the grass is always greener" type situation I suppose. Wish I could grow mangoes like they do down in Florida but, hey ho! 🌴
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 16:41 by LotuSeed »

Snoop

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 12:03 »

Which is why I also give frost season dates in my signature line and feature a photo of snow-covered trees! Spain has some fantastic beaches, but such a long coastline gives it a large interior, which has perishing cold winters and drought and storm conditions in summer. Growing tomatoes is still a challenge where I am.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 12:23 »
out of curiosity then, which part of Spain are you?

Snoop

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 18:36 »
out of curiosity then, which part of Spain are you?

The province of Teruel, but there are places in Spain with more extreme climates than ours. Summer temps here can get as high as 44 ºC in the shade in summer and as low as -17 ºC at night in winter. Precipitation is around 450 mm a year according to historical records: rain concentrated in three main spells (according to past patterns) in spring, late August (torrential flooding that does the land no good) and early autumn plus snow in winter.

We're about to get an unseasonal few days of rain: the forecast for the nearest town is 152 litres per square metre (15.2 cm) between today (Friday) and Monday. We usually get more... The lowest we've ever had is 150 litres (15 cm) over an 18-month period - you can't grow many tomatoes in those conditions. We had blight this year due to 250 litres of rain per square metre (25 cm) over a two-week-long period in September. This was followed by a cold snap that finished my struggling tomato plants off. Bad enough for me but a total disaster for the vineyards in this area: fungal problems, ruined grapes, pickers unable to get on the land due to mud, etc.

I mention historical patterns, but it has to be said that in the time we've been here, no two years have been the same. I used to scoff at the locals saying "I've never seen anything like this before", but these days I'm far more inclined to agree. The weather has now turned very mild. I saw in the news that frog spawn has been spotted in Cornwall. Here, as well, the birds and trees think it's spring.

Edited to update forecast rainfall and to comment on the problems for the locals with vines.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:30 by Snoop »

xx
Starting tomatos early next year.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 12:48
by sharky
xx
tomatos

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 13:10
by peterjf
xx
Tomatos outside?

Started by mclarkuk1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 09:49
by bigben
xx
Still getting tomatos

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 05, 2010, 21:32
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 31 queries.