Growing Parsnips

• 54 Replies

cadalot

Re: Growing Parsnips
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2014, 07:08 »
Kirstin & DD Thank you

I had a container like the one above this year and kept the kitchen towel damp but never got anything that looked like the photo DD put the link too.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2014, 17:13 »
You have to be patient mine took ages and then only took hold when I put then on a sunny window sill  :ohmy:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2014, 13:03 »
I had a container like the one above this year and kept the kitchen towel damp but never got anything that looked like the photo DD put the link too.

Parsnip seed has very short viability, so rarely worth trying to use last-year's-packet - dunno if that might have been the problem?

Chitted like my photo, and using this-season's seed, mine germinate in 7 - 14 days.  By comparison sown in the ground, when cold and wet early in the year, its likely to be "ages".

sarajane

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2014, 13:46 »
After years of sowing direct, none terminated this year.  As a last resort I respected in 'ritchies pots' and planted out at the first sign of greenery.  Best parsnips ever with no need to thin out so I'll be doing the same in 2015

cadalot

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2014, 14:10 »

Parsnip seed has very short viability, so rarely worth trying to use last-year's-packet - dunno if that might have been the problem?

Chitted like my photo, and using this-season's seed, mine germinate in 7 - 14 days.  By comparison sown in the ground, when cold and wet early in the year, its likely to be "ages".

They were current seeds, from the same pack as the ones I put in toilet rolls that had germinated, but the ones on the kitchen paper just didn't form roots.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2014, 15:54 »
They were current seeds, from the same pack as the ones I put in toilet rolls that had germinated, but the ones on the kitchen paper just didn't form roots.

Interesting.  Something about the kitchen paper perhaps?  Scented? / Pretty printed  pattern? (although I'm clutching at straws of course!)

beesrus

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2014, 18:49 »
I'm sure parsnip seed doesn't last as long as other veg, but I can't say I've ever had a problem germinating last year's bought parsnip seeds, and I don't like wasting seed. So to check viability in February of each year before I buy new,  and to avoid  some wasted weeks guessing and losing the audit trail, I slip a pot of 5 or 6 seeds into the electric propagator. Ten days will tell me if that seed will still be viable later in the Spring under real world conditions. It nearly always is. Never tried 2 year old seed though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 18:55 by beesrus »

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2014, 20:44 »
2-year old seed works too. I let my chitted seeds dry out though... ::)

Snoop

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2015, 09:58 »
After years of sowing direct, none terminated this year.  As a last resort I respected in 'ritchies pots' and planted out at the first sign of greenery.  Best parsnips ever with no need to thin out so I'll be doing the same in 2015

Likewise. I don't know what variety you grow, but I grow Guernsey, a 'stumpy' variety and they work a treat in paper pots. After peeling and trimming, mine this year weigh in between 500 and 600 g apiece.

Had great success with carrot seed tape last year, so will be trying some White Gem parsnip tape this year for a bit of variety, with some Guernseys as back-ups/extras.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2015, 10:40 »
I grow Guernsey, a 'stumpy' variety and they work a treat in paper pots. After peeling and trimming, mine this year weigh in between 500 and 600 g apiece.

I need to try that this year.  I grow in newspaper tubes and mostly mine grow stumpy (perhaps as a result), but digging up a Parsnip that si a couple of feet long, in my heavy soil, is just a non starter, and I don't see any use for the thin whippy end of the root in the kitchen - on the show bench it would no doubt be different :)

xx
growing parsnips

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 04, 2017, 08:37
by arh
xx
Growing Parsnips

Started by john shep on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 22:00
by Togalosh
xx
Growing parsnips

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 30, 2010, 15:09
by aelf
xx
Growing parsnips

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 24, 2011, 09:03
by bigben

Page created in 0.702 seconds with 30 queries.