growing parsnips

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

growing parsnips
« on: August 01, 2017, 21:55 »
for those of you that grow good parsnips can you give me some advise how I can achieve this I've tried most methods from staring parsnips of in peat pots paper pots toilet rolls making a hole in the ground with a bare filling it with compost 2 seeds per station  and still I can't get it rite

they seem to fork every time or go a light brown colour possibly be parsnip canka also swede that's another one of my not so good veg's tried growing them in plug trays then transplanting a complete waste of time thought about trying growing them in jiffy pellets

as you see I'm asking this question in good time for next year  :D because you never know I mite even get to grow a decent crop of parsnips and swede next year with your expert help

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: growing parsnips
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 22:44 »
I've only grown parsnips a couple of times, but had success sowing Gladiator in deep paper pots, in April/May, and transplanting them as soon as they had 2 leaves. Left any longer the roots hit the bottom and fork.

Swede, I now always start in modules middle to the end of June and transplant them before they get rootbound. I put a small handful of chicken pellets into each planting hole, to give them a kick start.

arh

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 15:27 »
I did exactly the same as Mum, only mine were "White Gem", (I think). I made a paper pot with a Neutradol air freshener can, (2" diameter) made them 6" long, sowed the seed, when they came up and had 2 leaves, I planted them out pot and all, all good!!, my question is "why are they ready for pulling now, I planted them out 1st April, I think".

victoria park

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 18:30 »
That would be about right Arh. When I sow first week in April, the first are ready end of July if they're healthy plants.
No problem though as they obviously hold for months and months in the ground.
Some old stagers raise an eyebrow at sowing parsnips too soon, but they can have germination issues and I always sow my first batch early just in case for some reason there are problems. I have neighbours that swear by not sowing until May, but then one year in three or four they get a failed crop because of poor germination after the infamous long germination period parsnips have, and there is then little or no time to sow again.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 19:07 »
from your replies  you know I mite actually get a crop of nice  parsnips and swede next year because I know I've been sowing my parsnip seed in to smaller  paper pots definitely not what your telling me and leaving them to long in the pot before planting out 

and as for swede going to try modules again and plant out before they get root bound

good sound advise put that info in my gardening diary thanks all

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 19:49 »
I plant mine direct, usually mid march. however this year it was mid april. about 12 germinated in the row I was quite disappointed but I must admit they were last years seed which are never a good idea.
however as the season went on the weather warmed and more parsnips germinated.
accidental successional planting.
my soil is reasonably sandy with the odd stone so not always perfectly straight roots.

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 21:37 »
I sow mine direct, but wait until the first week in May.  Round here in Yorkshire, it is too cold before then for germination.  I normally grow Tender and True but I am trying Guernsey this year.

It is worth planting slug pellets alongside the seed - I use the organic allowed type, but also keep them under enviromesh alongside the carrots, so birds can't get at them anyway.  The mesh keeps carrot fly out - they can also affect parsnips and I find canker is reduced too, not sure why.

They do well in a deep bed that is stone free.  I have three deep raised beds that I rotate parsnips and carrots around.  I add manure the previous season - i.e. not the autumn before sowing, but the year before.  This helps prevent forking.

arh

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 08:37 »
Thank you for that Victoria, I assumed that they would not be ready until October time, (wrong again son, :lol:)

clip
Growing Parsnips

Started by cadalot on Grow Your Own

54 Replies
Last post January 01, 2015, 10:40
by Kristen
xx
growing parsnips

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 16:44
by Jay The Digger
xx
Growing parsnips

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 24, 2011, 09:03
by bigben
xx
Growing Parsnips

Started by john shep on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 22:00
by Togalosh

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 38 queries.