New allotment questions

• 8 Replies

Pumpkin-Kat

New allotment questions
« on: November 05, 2014, 11:48 »
Hi
 I have recently got an allotment which was very overgrown, my tree surgeon brother in law, kindly lent us a brush cutter, so all the weeds and brambles have been cut right down.
 My plan is to cover the best part if the allotment with silage sheeting over the winter, but I am hoping to plant a couple of fruit trees and bushes.

My first question is about a blackcurrant bush, which is the only thing I found under all the weeds. Im glad I have managed to find something, but wondered if it would survive if I move it to a different part of the plot, and the best way to do this?

My second question concerns horse manure. I have a friend with a stud farm, so can get plenty of it. The question is do I put it all onto a compost heap and let it rot down to use later? Some of it is fairly well rotted already; or should I put some down on the ground to be covered with silage sheeting and will it rot down,under that?
Any tips and/or suggestions gratefully received, as I have very limited fruit & veg growing experience.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: New allotment questions
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 13:46 »
The blackcurrant bush can be moved anytime from now until March. Just dig it up with some soil attached if you can.

I wouldn't spread the manure until you are sure the weed roots are dead, or you've dug them up - or you'll just be feeding them.
I'd just stack it for now and spread it when/as the ground is cleared.

Pumpkin-Kat

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 22:33 »
Thank-you, I will do that then :)

gypsy

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 23:09 »
Good luck with your new allotment and I hope it gives you many hours of enjoyment.
Reguarding your plan for a fruit tree, if you have not done so already check the rules to see if trees are allowed, we are not allowed trees, but if there is already a tree on the plot we are not allowed to cut it down. Also check with your neighbours that they do not mind a tree, you do not want to start off in the bad books.
Catherine

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:11 »
And don't forget to take lots of photographs so you can look back and see the improvement when you hit the wall and think that you are not making headway fast enough - The Diaries on here are a great resource for that and for getting feedback as you go.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:33 »
UYou may need to dig out the bramble roots and any perennial tough weeds such as couch grass as they probably won't die under cover, but see how it goes in spring - good luck.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

gnarlybuttons

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 14:03 »
Good luck and best wishes! 
If I could go back and start again on my plot, I would glyphosate the lot and then go organic once the ground elder, creeping buttercup, docks, dandelions nettles and brambles were dead.  Failing that I would cover half the plot with the thickest layer of manure I could get, then cover it with black plastic for as long as possible, ideally a year, and repeat it on the other half the next year.  When you peel the plastic back you will have the most wonderful rich tilth that the worms have made for you.  If you are desperate for a crop and the weeds aren't too bad you can plant potatoes or courgettes through holes in the plastic. 

Again check with your allotment committee if either of these approaches ar against the rules first!

Digging the plot over and removing every vestige of weed roots is only OK if you have vast amounts of spare time and energy.

wrinkly1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 14:28 »
i,m a great believer in deep digging especially on new ground. it breaks up ground and gets rid of weeds.i,d cover all this with thick manure.and leave to overwinter. i,m lucky to be retired and have lots of time.there is no simple way on a new allotment.  cheers and good luck.

cadalot

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 16:57 »
It's taken me two years to dig over and remove all the heavy duty weeds from my overgrown plot but I'm chasing less weeds than my neighbours who crashed on and rotovated.

xx
Sorry - a ton of questions (new allotment)

Started by Quootiepie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 21:50
by deezkatz
xx
We've just taken over our new allotment - I have a few questions pls help!

Started by Folger on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 11:37
by bigben
xx
new allotment, few questions

Started by catweazle on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 21:38
by millimole
xx
First allotment - a few questions.

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 12:52
by JayG

Page created in 0.716 seconds with 30 queries.