growing Saffron bulbs

• 4 Replies

Grubbypaws

growing Saffron bulbs
« on: November 04, 2014, 10:18 »
Doing some research into growing saffron I have got very confused about the advice I have found  :unsure:

When can I plant them? August (Suttons,RHS, Crocus) or September-December (JParkers)?

How deep should I plant them when I get them? 10-15cm ( Crocus, RHS) or 5-8cm (JParkers)?

A lot of folk seem to have faith in Suttons seeds and they have stopped selling them, so should I wait until next year? I was intending to grow them in a container.

Goosegirl

Re: growing Saffron bulbs
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 11:01 »
I would go with getting them from RHS or Suttons to ensure a good quality and plant as they say.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 12:29 »
I got 60 from Suttons this year. They are only available for a short window from around August as they are lifted & dried in July and sold for immediate planting August-September.

I have 30 in containers (10 per 42L trug) and 30 in the ground. Just over half flowered this year. More flowered in the containers than in the bed, but I don't know if that is due to situation or any number of other factors. Nearly all of them sent up more than one growing spike, but most of those didn't flower this year. I gather from (a lot of) internet research that I will likely get multiple flowers per bulb from next year onwards.

I followed advice to plant them roughly 6inches down. I will be moving the ones in the bed to underplant my gooseberries next year, as really they take up too much ground on their own.

Hope that helps.
saffron coming up.jpg
saffron in flower.jpg
saffron harvest.jpg

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 14:33 »
Thank you both it certainly does help. I have requested that Suttons email me when they are in; I will just have to be patient.

Some of the websites are very specific about the soil type; Surbie what have you planted your container grown bulbs in?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 14:49 »
In the containers it's 70% MPC, 30% rotted stable manure with a handful of vitax supagro pellets in the bottom. The bed is London clay, with lots of rotted stable manure and a couple of bags of leaves for worm food. I had 100% come up, and they were biggish bulbs, so would be really happy to recommend Suttons.

xx
Saffron crocus bulbs

Started by weirdsowing on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 14:06
by Allotment Jon
xx
Growing shallots from supermarket bulbs

Started by Wellington on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2020, 11:41
by Wellington
xx
YAY! Saffron!!

Started by Heather_S on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 17, 2006, 08:33
by Heather_S
clip
Saffron

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2018, 20:32
by snowdrops

Page created in 1.012 seconds with 28 queries.