Worms

• 13 Replies

shaneyplane

Worms
« on: October 19, 2014, 18:39 »
hi guys,
i have cleared all the dead and old stuff out of my patch this afternoon (kept some stuff for seeds) but im wondering if its is worth buying some worms (from a fish bate supplier) for the patch, with the patch being on hard standing the worms cant get in naturally, or will they die during the winter,
Im out of my mind and it wont let me back it!

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: Worms
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 19:05 »
Can't quite envision what you mean - is your patch on top of hard standing or surrounded by it?
Have you got a compost heap - if I remember correctly some people get worms for 'wormeries' from angling shops...

Pip pip,
Balders

shaneyplane

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 19:11 »
its a built box out of pallets ontop of hard standing, and yeh is it worth buying worms from a wormeries, or will they die during the winter with the frost and cold weather,

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 19:16 »
No I don't think they will die but will not be active if the weather is cold.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 19:21 »
Bit hard to give you a definite answer - depends on the cost I suppose. I would have thought that a square 'box' of pallet size earth/compost is going to have a central core that will not freeze unless we get really, really cold temperatures. Personally I'd give it a go (unless the worms cost a lot).

Pip pip,
Balders

bravemurphy

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 19:49 »
Make a compost bin put manure and any rotting veg and they will come on their own no need to buy them really.

My worms love the sediment from primary fermentation of wine they go mad for it  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 20:07 »
They seem to find their own way in, anyway.

The kind of worms you buy in the bait shop are usually brandlings and they aren't the usual common earthworms, they're the worms found in compost/manure heaps.
Scrounge a bucket of soil from someone/where else and you'll usually get some worms to start you off (bought soil in bags has usually been sterilised, so won't help)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 20:15 »
My worms love the sediment from primary fermentation of wine they go mad for it  :)

I have this picture in my head now of worms partying wildly on wine sediment  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

its a built box out of pallets ontop of hard standing, and yeh is it worth buying worms from a wormeries, or will they die during the winter with the frost and cold weather,

If the weather gets really cold, worms migrate right into the centre of a compost bin, so I think they will do the same in a large raised bed.  If you mulched at least part of the bed, that would help keep the worst of the frost out as well  :)

bravemurphy

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 20:29 »
They really are partying I have never seen so many worms  :D

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 23:18 »
Worms find their way across concrete and into pots. If your hard standing is packed rubble rather than concrete the worms will soon be there once they smell the ooze from the bottom of the heap.

Find someone digging out or turning their compost heap and beg a bucket of worm laden compost to seed your heap.

JohnB47

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 22:31 »
If you put that dead and old stuff  in a  corner somewhere, assuming you don't have a compost heap,  there'll soon be worms in it. Add some fallen leaves and it's like a smosborgen to ghem.

Swing Swang

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 22:52 »
My thoughts on worms -

The type of worms raised for composting are of the 'Epigeic' type (although some articles put them into a special group all by themselves and call them compost earthworms) - anyway they appear to live and feed in the surface litter and do not have permanent burrows, they also are killed by hard frosts. Consequently there really is no point in putting them anywhere apart from a compost bin unless you are applying surface mulches to your plot.

Conceivably if you put loads down with plenty of worm casts the cocoons will stay dormant until you put some organic matter on top in the spring, they'll then hatch/do their thing/die and leave more cocoons until a cow comes along an puts a pat over the top of them. I'd have thought that this is the wrong time of year to do that as they're not going to do very much if you spread them in a thin layer as soon as the first frosts come along.

In anycase, I certainly wouldn't be buying them. As others have said - get the conditions right and they'll turn up for free soon enough.

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 08:32 »
Clean out a house roof gutter and there will be worms in it !

If they can make their way to a home over 5 metres up in the air finding your compost heap is a dead cert ! :)

Save your cash for seeds !

Mogman

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 11:33 »
What you really want I think are common earth worms that make burrows and can get into the centre of the raised bed where it will be warmer if you get hard frosts. Go out when it's raining at night to any lawned area. Take a torch and a container with you. When you spot a worm, get hold of it firmly but don't pull or you'll snap it and it will die. Just keep hold of ot and it will eventually grow tired and release it's grip.

Couple of tips...walk very quietly and grab the little critter as soon as you spot it! They are light and vibration sensitive.

I'm a keen angler and I've done this lots of times...you should be able to collect 40-50 of the blighters in no time at all.

xx
worms

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 17, 2011, 17:54
by Swing Swang
xx
Worms

Started by tonydevine125 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 18:27
by corynsboy
xx
worms?????

Started by newatthis on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 09:16
by aelf
xx
worms

Started by vespaman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 22:04
by mumsy

Page created in 0.695 seconds with 30 queries.