Suitable soil for growing garlic

• 7 Replies

ambodach

Suitable soil for growing garlic
« on: October 10, 2014, 10:43 »
I'm near Edinburgh.  Some years ago I tried garlic in the veg plot with what could only be described as 'marginal' success - that is the yield did exceed the input but nothing to excite the cook!  That was south facing in deep good draining neutral pH soil.

I'm sharing a pack of four varieties with a friend this year as another try - perhaps one of these varieties will do the job.

Now I was watching Monty Don on the BBC on Friday (or was it Saturday) past and he was planting his garlic in a raised bed with a very open soil - almost a compost.  Can anyone comment on this please - I do have a now redundant cold frame that could easily become a raised bed and I recently got the best part of a ton of 'compost' from a dismantled stall at a flower show.

Thanks
Rob

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
Re: Suitable soil for growing garlic
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 11:17 »
Last year was my 'if it doesn't work this year I'm giving up growing garlic' year. I had tried lots of times in the veggie bed, with limited success. This time I grew in pots, one to a pot the size that roses or soft fruit bushes come in, four to a larger patio planter. I'm too mean to buy that much fresh potting compost so I filled them with the remains of my tomato planters, which were originally 50/50 horse manure and fresh bought general purpose compost. By the time this was shaken out it was pretty loose.

I had the best garlic I've ever grown (not that that's saying much!) but it was easily the size of supermarket heads.  There was no noticeable difference between the pots (or where there was, it was down to the variety and not the pot size).

I also tried growing some in shallower but wider pots, this didn't work nearly so well.

Not really a scientific experiment but if I were you I'd be going the raised bed/compost route for sure.

ghost61

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 11:21 »
I grow mine in a raised bed with friable soil.  My results are disappointing so far.  I am persevering though, and asthe results are small bulbs, I just plant more!  This year I am also trialling elephant garlic (not a real garlic, I know) in raised beds and pots to see if there is any real difference. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 11:36 »
Garlic likes light, well-drained soils with plenty of organic matter in it so your plan should work fine.

Don't know why your previous attempt wasn't that successful, but free draining soils can be a bit short of nutrients.  :unsure:

Have no idea what ex flower stall compost has in it, but don't go too mad with any additional fertiliser, especially nitrogen which can produce soft growth which is more vulnerable to winds and rust damage.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 13:15 »
I don't think garlic is that fussy really. Last year mine went into fairly heavy clay which compacted down to concrete over winter and had puddles on top. Despite this, the garlic was going great until it was hit by rust. Still got some decent bulbs, but it was the rust that limited than rather than the soil. I suspect they wouldn't do well on a sandy soil due to lack of nutients and water.

LotuSeed

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 16:33 »
I grow mine is a south facing-raised bed that has a mix of topsoil, lots compost and lots of well rotted manure, there may be a bit of sand in there as well. The mixture is really friable and the garlic does well in it. Other than planting out in October and weeding it in the Spring,  I leave it alone. I don't "feed" it anything but water and it seems to do fine living off of whatever nutrients have been dug into the soil in the Fall.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 20:17 »
work some potash into the soil about late winter and this helps to bulk up the bulbs

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 09:01 »
I don't think garlic is that fussy really. Last year mine went into fairly heavy clay which compacted down to concrete over winter and had puddles on top. Despite this, the garlic was going great until it was hit by rust. Still got some decent bulbs, but it was the rust that limited than rather than the soil. I suspect they wouldn't do well on a sandy soil due to lack of nutients and water.

I have to agree.  Like the original post, I live in Scotland and get my bulbs from the Really Garlicky Company (Scottish grown).  It had never occurred to me that I needed to give garlic special treatment and have always grown it as part of my normal rotation in the raised beds in my veg garden.  I always get a good crop, except this year when there was some rust and the bulbs were smaller than before.  I do add some organic matter to the soil before planting but nothing apart from that.

xx
Is wild garlic suitable for allotment growing?

Started by Ali T on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 16, 2023, 16:31
by cc
xx
Stoney soil, will a "scuffle/action/oscillating/swivel/Hula-Ho" Hoe be suitable?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 09:11
by LivvyW
xx
What can I plant in the soil after garlic?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 12:53
by cathangirl
xx
is garlic rust in the air or the soil

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 22, 2014, 13:21
by Salmo

Page created in 0.626 seconds with 28 queries.