Stoney soil, will a "scuffle/action/oscillating/swivel/Hula-Ho" Hoe be suitable?

• 3 Replies

green_fingered_ash

I have read a scuffle hoe is fantastic however, i have stoney soil, i use a dutch hoe (just a standard one), some areas are more stoney than others but it gets the job done ( a bit tough) does take a bit of effort to go through the soil and i can feel it bouncing off some stones.

I'm looking foward to your input as videos of it in action makes me think my life would be so much easier when weeding.

Regards Ash
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 18:01 by Aunt Sally »

upert

• Experienced Member
Well I've got stony soil and switched to a stirrup hoe (another name) and it works for me. It's push-pull action is very effective. I can hoe my plot much better and in a third of the time. I'm a big convert to this type of hoe.

That said, it does help if you take some stones out. I've shifted barrow loads of the bigger ones.

green_fingered_ash

Thanks for the info, i will be getting this type of hoe ASAP :)

I try to remove as many stones as possible when i dig, but there seem to be an unlimited amount ohhh.

Ash

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
I have purchased one of these a couple of weeks ago.  OMG! Lifechanging as far as weeding is concerned.  Mine has quite a sharp blade on it and it just slices through the weeds. It really is a joy to use.

My onion bed used to take me at least half an hour to weed, a combination of hoe, hand hoe and hand weed.
With my new super dooper oscillating hoe it takes me five minutes. Really satisfying!

One tip, i bought the smallest size head (about 10 or 12 cms) mainly because i always plant my onions too close together.

Highly recommended.

For those in Ireland. I got mine from Fruit hill farm in Cork.
Liv.

xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Comfrey Tea - "Press" or "Steep"?

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 15:38
by noshed
xx
Beetroot ... which is better "Solist" or "Monika"

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2014, 22:33
by Hampshire Hog
xx
brassica's need moving(""edited"")

Started by vegikev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 13:03
by gobs

Page created in 0.581 seconds with 36 queries.