when did you plant your PSB?

• 11 Replies

3759allen

when did you plant your PSB?
« on: October 02, 2014, 14:19 »
just wondering when everyone else planted their PSB?

i'll be honest i can't remember when i planted mine (i seem to have neglected the diary, i'm not good with writing things down). i think i they went in around may time.

they have been netted to stop the cabbage whites destroying them. but they have gone absolutely mental, been touching the netting for months and now bending the the main stem. i don't want to remove the net as there's still cabbage whites around.

have i planted too early, i'm pretty sure i done as it said on the packet and when everyone else was planting them.

how's everyone else's PSB doing? anyone else having the same problem?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: when did you plant your PSB?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 14:31 »
Sowed mine in July, planted out in September after some time in pots, is now just over a foot high.

simonwatson

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 15:05 »
Mine went in late (sown August, planted out September) but I've got it under a clear plastic cloche so I'm hoping to keep it going for a while before it gets really cold. My first lot bolted due to going in too early.

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 15:41 »
Planted mine in May.  They are tall too, but that's fine, as they are big plants. I wouldn't worry - mine bend themselves all over the place as I don't bother staking them. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 16:32 »
How tall is your netting cage? - PSB grows taller than cabbage does.

ptarmigan

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 16:35 »
Mine went in the ground from pots in late June. Are now about  2.5 foot high and producing spears which I've been picking for a couple of weeks.  And very nice it is too. Couldn't tell you what variety it is though - and I'm a bit surprised as I wasn't expecting anything from it till the spring.

Nobbie

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 16:57 »
Mine was sowed about April and planted out in June. They're monsters now, luckily the cabbage whites have not bothered them. Discovered yesterday that some of them were Romanescu cauliflower :lol:, They're all a good 3-4 foot tall, but they are on very good soil where an old dung heap was.

bravemurphy

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 18:43 »
Mine were planting out at the end of July, I had to take the netting off them last week as they were literally busting out of it and the leaves were breaking.
The way I look at it  is that the butterflies can only get less now as winter sets in.
It was the same last year but I took the netting off way too early and they got hammered by caterpillars.

3759allen

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 19:04 »
a variety of answers there.

i'm liking ghost61's style, if you can not bother with things and let them sort themselves out all the better imo.

the netting is about 3 foot tall, the tallest i could make it as it's not a permanent fixture.

i might have to bite the bullet and get the netting off, bravemurphy is right they are getting less. i'm just a bit wary after my brassicas getting mascaraed last year. 

beesrus

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 19:45 »
I sowed mine on 3 June and planted out 1 July, and they've zoomed along. They're now a good 600 to 800mm high.
They no longer are protected from butterfies, only birds, but that's only possible on my plot if I check them every couple of days. They did get a bit of a mauling from mealy aphids that set up shop, but they got hosed off over a couple of days.

I've got a couple of smaller PSB plants 300mm high I kept back that are going to be transplanted back into the cold greenhouse border this weekend, now the chilies are about to be harvested, as last Spring by accident I had the most wonderful PSB harvest in the greenhouse... well worth it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 19:45 by beesrus »

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 20:10 »
My PSB is 1 metre tall, under enviro mesh. It does seem tall for the time of year, maybe the weather? This year I have staked it and the Brussels sprouts as they both end up leaning at alarming angles.  Never thought of planting some in cold greenhouse but guess you would get an earlier crop, useful at that time of year. I have some chard and cavalo Nero in my greenhouse and will transplant winter giant spinach when the tomatoes are finished.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 21:31 »
4 sowings, can't remember exactly when planted out but oldest ones now about 4ft (I'm 5ft and they are chest high), mixed romesque/and a mixed packet of 4 types of PSB.  Just seeing heads on some today.  Raised the up all the nettings today again.  Smallest are 1ft.

Doing an experiment- read somewhere when planting out, if you keep some seedlings back keep them stuck in the modules and plant those out a few weeks later it delays and staggers the harvest.  Working so far.

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
clip
Odd plant

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2020, 10:57
by missmoneypenny
question
Where to buy and what/when to plant?

Started by neonplanet40 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2016, 23:05
by jezza

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 32 queries.